The Burn

Chapter 9

I walked down the stairs to the main hall, feeling slightly relaxed in the company of others. At least now The Phoenix couldn't hurt me if he knew what I had found out, it would risk his whole plan.

I looked around in the room and saw that Rachel was standing by the refreshments table, speaking to a girl that I didn't recognise. Rachel saw me and her face lit up before she waved me over. I started walking towards her while I inspected the other quite tall girl with my eyes. She was wearing a black gown with minimal decorations and a quite subtle mask and she was looking over at me with a smile on her face. Her chestnut coloured hair was tightly pinned to her head, and it had a shining touch to it, reflecting the lights in the room.

"Hello there", I said when I approached them.

"Hey Angel, this is Sara, Blake's cousin", Rachel said, looking at the girl she had been speaking to earlier.

"Hi Angel, it's nice to meet you."

Sara held out her hand for me to shake, which I did. If she really was The Phoenix cousin, she could be dangerous too, but I didn't really need to make it obvious that I didn't like him. Also, she could've been adopted. But as soon as we shook hands, I noticed that she wiped her hand on her dress, which I then also did.

"I'm going to tell Blake that I found you, I'll be right back", Rachel said, running away.

Wait, Blake had been looking for me? In that case, did he know that I had been sneaking around in his house? He had a connection to the fallen angels; there was a big chance that he knew it because they told him. But how were they going to contact him in the middle of a ball?

I looked up at Sara and she was staring right at me with hatred in her eyes, and suddenly I understood what she was. She was not human, and she did not hate me. She hated my entire race, because she was one of the fallen angels. The creatures that were allowed in neither hell nor heaven, they had to wander around on earth for eternity, living on other creatures until they were killed by one of us.

So that's how he found out.

"You know Angel, we don't like creatures lurking around in other people's stuff", Sara said.

"Oh, so suddenly you're a person?" I said, smiling mockingly at her.

"We've been living on earth for longer than any of you. We know more about being people than you'll ever know."

I smiled at her before I leaned forward, pretending that I hugged her.

"It's because nobody else wants you", I whispered into her ear.

I moved back and saw how Sara's eye was twitching, and she was really trying hard with containing her anger. No fallen angel liked to hear the truth, and was so easy make them snap. But they were trusted in the beginning, before they betrayed heaven and were sent down to earth. How could they expect hell to want them, if they had already betrayed heaven? We may be the more naughty ones, but we disliked betrayal.

"You bitch. I'll find you and make sure that you die before you can say fallen angel one more time."

"Oh, sounds like a fun challenge", I said, smiling. "Fallen angel."

I turned around and walked away from her with confident, smiling. It felt good to stand up for myself against fallen angels, because they always thought that they were the better race. How was it better not to belong anywhere? To just stroll around on earth for centuries, living the boring life's of humans with limited supernatural powers.

"Why are you looking so proud?"

I spun around in the middle of the crowd of laughing people, looking up into a pair of really dark eyes. But this time, it wasn't Ace.