The Protective Eye

Chapter 6

"You want me to what?!"

I had just told Rachel what I wanted her to do. She hadn't taken it as bad as I thought; I actually thought that she would start crying.

"I'm serious, I need you to stay with him, it's some important business", I told her as calm as possible.

"You're seriously asking your best friend to stay with a fucking mental policeman!?"

I didn't say anything, and I just kept my face neutral. She was overreacting, it wouldn't have been any problem if she had actually tried to learn how to protect herself. It's her own fault.

"Aren't you going to tell me what fucking business it is?"

Once again I stayed silent. I wasn't going to tell her the truth. But what was I going to tell her? I doubt that she would agree to help me if I just sat there. I couldn't force her either, could I?

Why not? You could easily use a bit of magic and make her obey everything you say. Then maybe she would actually do something right.

My body stiffened and I grabbed the corners of the chair I was sitting on. Those words weren't coming from my mind; they were placed in my head. My hold of the chair hardened as I realised that my mind had been infiltrated, not because I was scared, but because I had let my guard down.

"Well?" Rachel tried one more time.

"Can we speak about this tomorrow?" I asked her while she gave me a questioning look. "My head hurts a bit."

"Sure. Then maybe you can think about your so called 'idea'", Rachel told me before she stood up quickly, and she almost tripped over.

After regaining her balance, she threw a last glance at me before she quickly walked over to my door, grabbed her bag on the way before she hurried out.

I was happy that she decided to leave; I hadn't been alone for days. I needed my own time to think, and I needed to contact my boss.

I locked the door before I walked to the bookshelf in the living room. Standing in front of it, I pulled out the three different books and put them down next to me before I grabbed the corner of the shelf and once again opened it as a door. I entered the dark and cold room as I closed the bookshelf behind me.

I started off with lighting up the candles that were placed by the five corners of the star that was painted onto the cold stone floor. When all the five candles were lit I sat down in the middle of the star.

I broke the silence when I whispered the familiar words, "Ignitionem luminum."

All the other candles on the tables along the walls and the candles that were placed on the floor lit up and I softly closed my eyes.

"Good day, Angel."

"Good day, Sir."

"What do you have in mind, dear Angel?" My boss asked.

I thought about the important things I wanted to bring up. The voice in my head, Phoenix being attacked and of course, the eye.

"Sir, I know this may sound strange. But I have an eye on my shoulder", I told him.

"On your shoulder? That explains a few things", my boss began. "We put that eye on you."

"Why?"

"That eye will protect you, from other demons and it gives you an upper hand when you're going to fight against the Phoenix", he said. "Think of the eye as a companion, it will follow you everywhere, and help you if you end up in trouble."