II - The Beast

Griffin carefully placed his mother on one of the couches

Griffin carefully placed his mother on one of the couches. "Why mother, why would they take her?"

He was trying to be as gentle as possible, but the hate towards humans was growing more and more. Humans always want more then they have, they never appreciate what they already have.

"Because they believe there's a fairy spirit in her, Grif, they want her as an expensive pet!" Sobs of heartbreak took over her body once more.

The King was a ruthless man, and Griffin knew that whatever happened, he had to get his sister back, even if it means sacrifices.

He stood up and gave his mother some alone time. He turned to his pale sister. "I'm going to bring her back home." Irma's eyes snapped up at him, she was angry.

"Oh hell with that, you're definitely not going alone, brother!" She snapped, her eyes searching her bow and arrows already.
He placed his hands on Irma's shoulders, the gesture forced her to look back up at him once again. Griffin felt her sister shaking lightly.

"No, I'm going alone. I can't afford to lose you and mother too, Irma. Besides, you must pack everything important and travel far away from here. Don't tell me where you're going, after I get Kayla I'll come look for you.

"When I get Kayla back, the soldiers will surely swipe our small house off this land. It is better if you leave, find a safe place, change your names and stories. Stay off the roads most of the time.

"I know mother is a great witch and knows every herb there is out there, you know the best hiding places and hunting tactics, you two watch after each other. Alright Irma?"

Irma looked at her sobbing mother, it hurt her, it hurt her a lot. But she had to stay strong, even if she hated the idea of Grif going alone, she knew she couldn't leave their mother alone like that. She was vulnerable. Irma sighed and looked up at Grif. "Okay, how are you going to find us?"

"I'll always find family, Irma, you know that."

With that he turned around and thought over everything important he would need for the trip.

"Wait! Grif, don't you need a horse for the trip?"

"Of course not, horse is nothing more then just a burden, besides, peasants like you and me do not own horses who can run the miles between kingdoms. Do not worry, I'll get her back."

He gently kissed Irma's forehead and hugged his broken mother.
He was going to miss them, he was going to miss them a lot, but the urge to protect family was stronger then anything.

Without looking back, he took the small leather bag and marched out of the house.

The soldiers had took her in the morning, which gave them a good head start, but there was nothing better driving a man into a baddle than a will to get something, or in Griffins case, someone back for them.

The sun had completely set now, the darkness took over the land. In the distance the villagers were all asleep, some were blowing out the last candles of the day, not caring what was happening with others around them.

Griffin gave them one last glance and turned to the road, the muddy horse hoof prints leading him the way.
He couldn't take the shorter road from the enchanted forest, all the beasts from nightmares came out in the dark.
He couldn't walk on the muddy road, this specific road was known of the amount of bandits that raided the travelers and often killed them, taking away their gold, horses and anything that one could eat or use.

Therefore, there was only one last way. To keep off the road but always a close eye to the surroundings.

Griffin jogged into the forest, hidden away from the eyes of a common villagers who liked to gossip about everything, there was no question that by tomorrow evening they would already suspect something was off about their lonely house.

Griffin scanned the forest of any pair of eyes and like he was struck by lighting, he took off all his clothes, knowing that if someone even was out there with him, they wouldn't of had been able to see a thing due to the dark shadows.

He folded his clothes neatly and placed them in the bag, adding his worn shoes in there as well.

And there he stood, stark naked in the middle of the forest filled with predators of all kind.
He closed his eyes and whispered the word, so very carefully and as gently as possible.

Smilodon.

One does not command magic, only way to to use it, is to ask for it, become friends with it. Commanding magic to bend it under one's own will would bring out the great chaos in the world.

Griffin felt how the whole air was forced out of his lungs for the mere seconds, his back started aching and there was nothing more horrifying, then feeling your bones slowly bending themselves in the wrong direction, finally snapping in half through the process.

He breathed heavily, but it wasn't over yet, far from that, this was only the beginning. His ears pushed themselves out and he could feel the way his organs changed their shape.
His claws emerged, immediately he pushed them into the soil under his feet, not daring to make a sound in fright to wake up the village mutts, the hunting hounds.

After it was over and his body familiarly numb, he pushed himself up and grabbed the bag with his mouth, it was more uncomfortable then he ever would've thought, but it was necessary.

With a strong push, he jumped over the fallen log and started running by the road, his huge paws not making a sound as he dashed through the darkness, making skillfully less sound then its possible for a beast his size.

He was going to find his sister, take her with him and then turn back to look for his family.

He was going to do whatever it takes to get Kayla back, even if it would bring death upon himself.