9.2

A/N: Hi! Sorry for the late update (again). I am working through some things right now and haven't had as much time or motivation to write. But I hope you enjoy this chapter nonetheless! Hehehehehe >:)

-

02 - 07 - 2089

Once the blizzard has finally passed and both Cade and I have rested and regained our energy, we set out once again. The first sight of the world after coming out of the cave is so much whiter. A fresh, thick blanket of snow rests on everything in sight, and the world seems so bright. I have to squint after being in the cave for so long.

Cade and I head off in the direction of where he believes the nearest town is, hoping to reach there before noon. The sun is just starting to make its ascent into the sky, bright and cheery on the frozen land. I can't help but admire it.

"You shouldn't look directly at the sun," Cade calls from a few steps in front of me. I catch up to him and have enough courage to take his hand in mine.

"Why not?"

"The rays can be harmful to our eyes." Cade squeezes my hand gently and helps me over a protruding log, almost hidden from the fresh snow. My stomach growls and I feel embarrassment creeping up my cheeks.

To hide the fact that I am so hungry, I decide to ask a question. It has been on my mind since we left, and seems practical enough to ask as well. "Do you think we're safe?" I'm not sure I want to hear the answer to that question, but I can't stop myself from asking.

"No, I don't think so. You are very valuable to those poeple, Gis. And I don't think they are going to ever stop looking for you."

At his words, I feel dread in my stomach and fear. How are we to get away and ever be safe then? Will we even have a future? What happens if they find us? Those thoughts and many more rattle around in my head endlessly.

Cade glances down at me and halts. "I'm sorry, I didn't mean to frighten you. I won't let them take you. I promise. But we do have to be quick. With the blizzard gone they will be searching for you. We need to reach the town."

I swallow my apprehension down, imagining it filling up my stomach and not only making me feel better but taking away my hunger as well. For some reason, the thought makes me smile. I wonder how it would taste if it were food. Would it taste like the food I was given back at the facility? Tasteless and squishy? Or would it have color and flavor?

My stomach growls again, as if to order me from thinking such thoughts. I rub my hand to soothe it and focus on my footsteps instead. One foot in front of the other. Pick up the left foot, then the right, over and over again.

Minutes pass, though I'm not sure how many. The wind whips across the land, hitting my cheeks and causing them to go numb. I have one hand clasped tightly in Cade's for warmth while the other is stuffed in my coat pocket. My legs have long since gone stiff, but Cade is steady and his presence keeps me going.

Eventually, and after I am sure there isn't even a town, I spot something up ahead, down in a valley. A cluster of dark spots in the midst of the white world. Buildings.

"Is that it?" I ask, my tone betraying my excitement and relief.

Cade smiles. "Welcome to Fairbanks."

-

The town is breathtaking. That is the only word in my vocabulary that I can think to use in this situation. It truly is unlike anything I have ever experienced. Of course, that doesn't say much as I have been in the same building my whole life. But, nonetheless, it is amazing.