Chapter 50 - Jeremy Cash

He stood in the door surveying the room. He wore a maroon vest over a white shirt and tan slacks. His hair was blond and his eyes were a warm caramel. He looked at Lisbette briefly and turned his attention to the room. "My name is Jeremy Cash. I am a certified teacher with the Jacobius Institute Education Programme. Mrs Tate-Fuller contacted us about partnering with your school and as I was stationed in Jhoburg Common, I thought it would be easier to make the trip here to speak to you."

Lisbette was at a loss.

Jeremy continued. "I apologize for not being here earlier. My transport was delayed and the hotel here seems to have misplaced my reservation."

Lisbette caught herself and spoke up "Yes, well, the floor is yours, Mr. Cash."

Jeremy nodded slightly and presented his case to the room. He answered all of their questions expertly, in a way that put them at ease. Lisbette's breathing eased as she watched him move easily around the room. It was a good hour before he stopped talking. The parents seemed more exhausted than he was.

"And what about the cost?" one parent chimed in.

"We have some of the most influential patrons in the world and as a result, we are able to offer our services free of charge to the Eyubea Girls' school. The books are donations and are up to the standards required. Because of the time frame, this will require all hands on deck, as the saying goes. If you are not up to the task, there is no shame in bowing out. But once you have committed to this path, we expect full cooperation for the duration. What say you?"

It took a moment but one head nodding gave way to another and soon all were agreed. The girls erupted into smiles.

"Well then, it has been decided," Jeremy declared. "If it is all right with your mistress," he turned and gave a slight nod to Lisbette. "We can start fresh on Monday as it will take me some time to get the books here and ready."

"While you are doing that, we will be finishing up the week's lessons tomorrow."

The collective groans filled the room. Lisbette smiled and held up her hand.

"The holiday is over, ladies. We will have to work harder and that may mean classes on Saturdays. This is a chance that few get. Now, see you bright and early tomorrow."

Slowly the girls got up and said their goodbyes. Most of the parents left without a backwards glance except for Laleh's father, who had been mostly silent.

He approached Jeremy and Lisbette. "I do not necessarily agree with this...teaching. But I know the time is changing. Our ways are changing. I have three children, and there are times when I hear them speak and it hurts me because they seem so old and so young. Laleh, she is learning more than they did and she smiles all the time. A father wants smiling children not children old before their time."

With a nod he excused himself, leaving Jeremy and Lisbette alone in the room. Lisbette turned to walk behind her desk.

"You are good with the children, Mrs. Tate-Fuller. I commend you."

"Thank you, Mr. Cash. And it's Caldwell. My father was a teacher back in Shaffshire. I always wanted to follow in his footsteps"

"Shaffshire?" he questioned, helping her gather the books and storing them away. "I grew up in Edamton, to the west. We are practically neighbors."

"It seems so far away now." her voice was light as she looked absently at the desk. "So long ago."

"I know what you mean. I left England nearly five years ago. I was in Asia for two years and for the last three, here teaching at the Jacobius Institute."

There was a silence between them as they finished cleaning the room.

"So, Mr. Cash,--"

"Jeremy, please,"

"All right, Jeremy, how did you come? I received no word of your arrival."

"I actually was to have arrived earlier but I failed to receive the message before two days ago. I was finishing a testing situation in another village outside of Jhoburg Commons. We had five girls test for entrance and all five passed."

"That's wonderful to hear."

"They are all placed in schools and leave in a few weeks."

Lisbette closed up the classroom and walked to the car, where Clare-Voy was waiting, reading.

"I know this is an ambitious project but ever since I've arrived, I have felt a need to help these girls. I can't describe it. I feel as if they deserve a better chance at life. Better than what I--" and then she caught herself. She had just met him and the last she wanted to do was to tell him about her life. "What this life can give them."

"Well, that's why I'm here. I have never failed yet at a project no matter how challenging and I don't intend to start now."

Lisbette nodded and smiled. On the way back to the house, they chatted about England and Lisbette found herself relaxing and nostalgic for all of those dishes her father used to make. When they arrived at the house, Jeremy got out of the car and unchained a bicycle that leaned against the porch railing.

"I have made arrangements with Miss Clare-Voy to help me transport the books tomorrow afternoon and if you are amenable, we can start planning on Saturday."

Lisbette nodded.

Holding out his hand, he declared, "It was a pleasure to meet you, Mrs. Ta—Caldwell."

"Lisbette is fine. Same to you, Jeremy."

He watched the women walk to the porch and into the house before he got on his bicycle and rode off. Lisbette was not what he expected. She looked like a child, not much younger than he was when he left home. There was something else about the way she held herself that told him that she was on guard. Before he made himself known, he had listened to her speak to the room. In the classroom she seemed more relaxed and even in control. The girls had a lot of affection and respect for her, he could tell and, despite their resistance, so did most of the parents. For a young girl to make such an impact was a feat and he looked forward to working with her.

Just as he had told her, Jeremy had never failed to meet a project challenge. He had travelled to at least three countries in five years and he had seen some things in the world that a young Edamton lad could never fathom. He had been lucky to find Jacobius when he did and hadn't looked back since. It had been a steep learning curve but he managed to stay standing. Eyubea was another goal to be reached and he was determined to succeed.

 Eyubea was another goal to be reached and he was determined to succeed