Chapter 33 - An English Well

An hour later, a group of boys at the edge of her door caused her to stop midsentence.

"Pardon, Mistress," said one boy whom she recognized as Jally, "We don't find Mister Graham. Is he sick?" The other boys craned their necks to see in the classroom.

How exactly was she going to explain his absence or his actions to these children? "He...There was an emergency last night and had to leave suddenly. He was hoping to be back early this morning but I suppose he has been delayed." It was the best lie she could come up with on the spot and she hoped it would suffice. "You may join this class and I will do my best to help you."

Some of the boys nodded. As there were no more desks available, some of the boys moved their stations from the other room to hers. Lisbette found that they were a little behind her lessons, but was able to catch them up with the help of some of the girls, including Ziboya, who seemed more verbal ever since their little chat.

This combined class went on for days with the boys hardly asking for Graham, much to Lisbette's relief. But as with any small town, whether in Africa or elsewhere, rumors abound. There was an English man who had taken up with, who many saw as the town harlot. These rumors reached the ears of Afabakar. Being the smarter politician than he was taken for most of the time, he went in search of what he could see.

He knew Manda as a woman possessed of certain skills when it came to the male sex. A stukiefel in Xhontari terms. She came to Eyubea a few years ago and stories were that she traveled abroad and was introduced to the more exotic side of life, even selling her wares for money. She was forced to come back because of her family but left them. She was a mystery and with mysteries came suspicions, especially with the women of Eyubea who seemed to guard their men whenever she was present. The men frequented her company well enough and some of them even told tales of Manda's skills. Afabakar was curious enough about her and had approached her a few times only to be rejected.

His pride took it hard.

As usual, Manda's store had a few people in it buying exotic foreign trinkets and other items. He entered, feigning interest in some strange looking spoon. Manda was talking to a customer quietly who nodded and smiled. When she was done, she made her way to Afabakar, a man she didn't really care for but found somewhat useful from time to time.

"Can I help you, Afabakar?" she said, flashing a small smile.

At the sound of her voice, he guiltily dropped the item he was holding and wiped his hand on his pants as if it was stained.

"Just passing through. Looking." Afabakar's eyes scanned the place blatantly. "You have many items here that I have never seen. This store is a wonder."

Manda knew he was not there to muse over her merchandise and so she waited, looking at him.

"I suppose you are the keeper of exotic things."

Manda remained silent, a subtle smile crept to her lips. She had heard the rumors as well and while she normally turned her ears in another direction, Afabakar's presence in her shop, which he rarely if ever entered, was interesting to say the least.

"I suppose I do specialize in finding items of value."

"Especially English items."

There it was, she thought. "Is there something specific you want?"

Afabakar smiled, thinking himself strategic and subtle with his hints and innuendo. "I know he is here. I know you have him in your clutches."

Manda smiled, "Whatever you think I have, came to me."

"You are interfering with our business. We need to prove that we can live like English or face invasion and extermination. Remember the wars."

Manda laughed mirthlessly. "I remember the camps. I remember my family running and being hanged for being with Boers. I remember the skeletons of skin and bones wasted away from starvation. I have no love for the English or their claim of civilization. The colonials could never manage Eyubea. That's why I came here. "

"Give him back!" Afabakar's retort was sharp. He looked around the store and was grateful it was empty.

"He is free to do what he wants. He is no slave."

"Return him, Emenduyi."

"Afraid that the money you get will stop once they learn of him?" Manda saw the flash of surprise in his eyes. In between her sessions with Graham, she learned much about his family, their money and how it flowed, where and to whom. Graham held nothing back after he was sated and exhausted from their love making. She was sure that Afabakar was adding non-existent taxes and tariffs to line his pockets. For what purpose she didn't know and didn't care as long as he left her to her own devices.

"You are not the only one with plans, Afabakar. You are not the only one to sip at this well."

There was no reasoning with her. She would not budge. His face puffed with anger and indignation, Afabakar left.

The money he received for this mission was substantial. And yes, it would help Eyubea, but it also established him as a man with means to rise above leader of some speck of a town. He wanted to be magistrate or higher and the English respected money. It spoke to them in a language that made him seem like someone akin and he was not about to give up that chance. So what was to be done?

As he walked back to his office, it became clearer. The boys? They would be educated elsewhere. The monthly reports would show their progress and the head of the mission would be pleased enough to not ask questions. The girls, however, their school would be closed for good and he could easily find something to say about their progress to make that decision seem inevitable. Graham educating girls was nonsense. It was a waste, and he did it only to appease his patrons, but he found no use in educating girls. As far as Lisbette, she had her own problems and he would not bother himself with concern for her.

It was settled.