Chapter 36 - An Old Friend

At first Lisbette felt guilty about not thinking about Graham, but as her mind turned to training the girls, she realized just how much better her life was without him. With Clare-Voy and Musa, she had a routine that helped to shape her day. Her thoughts were on preparing the girls to understand the game. They had a little over a month to practice and even with the notes from her father she knew she was in for a battle.

"We are not ready," Ziboya announced as she looked at the others who sat on the grass resting. They all knew what this game meant but for Ziboya it felt like a real chance to find a way out of Eyubea.

"We will be, Ziboya." Lisbette tried to calm the young girl even as she constantly pushed aside her own doubts.

"Afabakar visited the families of the boys. He is paying the families money and promising them more if they win."

Lisbette was not the least surprised that the feverish little clod was underhanded. But what was she to do? She had little support and even less chance of winning, much less playing in a fair game. There had to be a way, she thought.

The girls continued to practice while Lisbette continued to turn the problem of Afabakar over in her mind. If only there was a way to expose him for what he was...and that was when she remembered it.

The minute she got home, she tossed her room and found that little piece of paper. The next day, she called the number on the paper and waited for that familiar voice to pick up. When it did, she nearly cried.

"Bett, I'm glad that you're still at the number."

"Lissy, it's great to hear your voice. How are things?"

Lisbette hesitated. There was so much to tell but now was not the time. "I need some help, actually."

"Oh?" Bett listened to Lisbette's story, loving the passion she heard in her friend's voice.

"Lissy, this is...wonderful, what you're trying to do for these girls. I'm learning how things work here and it's definitely a different world. There's more going on under the table than over it."

"So you're not able to help."

"I didn't say that, my dear girl. The only way to see under the table is to shine a light. I think this is a great feel-good story that my editors may just go for. We can do a feature series on your struggle to educate these Eyubea Girls, giving them a chance at an education, something they have been regularly denied." Lisbette could hear the wheels of Bett's mind turning. "And I have been toying with the idea of using radio to broadcast. There was a man named De Forest who did an experiment in Paris not too long ago that got quite a bit of attention. He broadcast music from the Eiffel Tower. I can contact my father and see if he can help somehow and we can see how we can work that in."

Lisbette sighed. "Thank you. It's been such a tough road. Not at all what I had envisioned, I'm afraid."

Bett heard the relief in her voice. "I'll do what I can. I really need to take a break from my research project anyway, as I've hit a block. This would be a great distraction as well as a chance for us to catch up and put our heads together."

"You mean, you're coming here?"

"Of course. I can't very well do a feature story series on a subject without being with the subject. I just want to make sure it's good for you." Bett's voice hung in the air for a moment and Lisbette knew she meant Graham.

"It won't be a problem," was all she responded. "I'll have Clare-Voy make a room for you."

"Clare-Voy?"

Lisbette chuckled. "She is a true gem. We have so much to chat about, Bett."

"I'll be there in a few days or so once I get a wire from Dad. It will be wonderful to see you again, Lissy."

After saying their goodbyes, Lisbette hung up and leaned on the small table. Her relief was palpable. She remembered just how close they were on the ship, sharing everything like a couple of schoolgirls. She looked forward to having her good friend back in her life.

It was business as usual for the next few days as the girls studied and practiced. It was not easy as some of the girls' parents voiced concerns about the impending game.

"Please understand, Mistress," Laleh's mother spoke as they walked on the school grounds one afternoon. "My husband and I do want Laleh to get an education. It is a new time and we see how much she enjoys school, but Afabakar is a powerful man who can make things difficult for us, if he chooses."

Lisbette furrowed her brow, stopping to look at her. "Has he threatened you in any way, Mrs. Bugwu?"

She wearily shook her head. "But he has made it clear that there are difficulties ahead...I don't know how to explain it."

Lisbette continued their stroll, "I cannot promise you the future. All I can say is Laleh is bright and she is excited. We have been practicing and working hard. I want to show these girls that I am not willing to give up on them as the others may have."

Mrs. Bugwu nodded. "Yes. There were promises and none were kept. At least now, she is happier than we have seen her. Yes. I agree. I can see you care for our girls."

"Oh, I do, Mrs. Bugwu. So very much."

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

A historical note: Lee de Forest was an American inventor who was has been called "The Father of Radio."  In the early 1900's he ran a couple of demonstrations. The one Bett refers to here happened in 1908 when he was demonstrating a transmitter that was used experimentally for entertainment broadcasts.