Chapter 20 - To Teach, To Learn

Lisbette leaned against the door and calmed herself. She had always been cautious with Graham, yielding at times, realizing that they didn't know each other well. But what she had just experienced made her afraid. She closed her eyes and willed her thumping heart to return to its regular rhythm. A part of her wanted to just give in to his demands but she couldn't fully do that anymore. Lisbette was slowly giving herself over to the idea of creating a life here in Eyubea and that gave her a sense of wonder. The dam was bursting and she couldn't stop it even if she wanted to.

That night she slept tentatively, no more than a few hours at a time and never deeply. Eventually Graham rose early and readied himself. Like on the ship, he treasured his morning exercises and left to take a walk. When she was sure he was gone, Lisbette got up and donned the clothes Clare-Voy had given her. The dawn sun was breaching the horizon. It was cool and brisk when she walked to Clare-Voy's house and knocked.

Lisbette was surprised when she answered the door quickly, dressed and ready.

"Early."

"Yes, I know." Lisbette smiled nervously. "Graham has gone for his morning walk and I thought this would be an excellent time to get chores done before he returns."

"Ah." She stepped out and indicated for Lisbette to follow.

Her father had always wanted a chicken coop but with his salary and expenses, it never seemed possible. When she opened the door, the stench assaulted her nostrils. She stepped back covering her nostrils with her sleeve.

"Smell over time not bad."

Lisbette attempted to open her mouth and felt saltiness graze her tongue. She spit repeatedly trying to cleanse her taste buds. Steadying herself and quelling her gag reflex, she attempted again to enter the coop. Clare-Voy stuck her hand under the bird and it clucked, flapping its wings at the intrusion. She gently placed an egg in the basket and repeated the same process with the next bird. Lisbette counted at least ten chickens, perhaps a dozen on one side and on the other, there were definitely more.

"Laying hens give eggs. Common fowls for food. Kill six weeks for food."

Lisbette looked at her, confused. But when she looked at what Clare-Voy called the common fowls, they looked much bigger than the layers. In fact, some of them were the size of small turkeys. "So there are different chickens. And how long do the hens give eggs?"

"Two years. Three. Keep some eggs for new hens. Common fowls too."

Lisbette was fascinated. She had seen baby chicks in school for agricultural projects but had no idea that there were different kinds of chickens and functions. Clare-Voy explained a little more about how the birds were fed and butchered, which while she loved chicken, she wasn't looking forward to the necessary execution.

The sun had almost risen. Lisbette had to get back to the house before Graham returned. She briskly walked back to the house. She sniffed her clothes and pulled away, crinkling her nose. She quickly took them off and looking for a quick hiding place, shoved them under the mattress on her side. Then she ran into the bathroom to bathe.

The door clicked. Graham had returned from his morning walk. He gently knocked on the door.

"I will be out soon."

After emerging from the bathroom fully dressed, Lisbette sat at the dresser and moisturized her skin while Graham bathed. She went to the kitchen to find Clare-Voy fixing breakfast. Directing her to put on an apron, Clare-Voy ordered Lisbette to make the dough for fresh rolls, giving her explicit directions on the ingredients and proportions. It was the first time she had done so much from scratch and while she was excited, she was also tired. She wondered how Clare-Voy or any other woman did this day after day.