XV ✧ Not Their Jailer

MY EMOTIONS

MY EMOTIONSSSSSS

___________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Chapter Fifteen

When Klaus stayed still, she only smiled at him.

"I assume you want more of an explanation, Niklaus?"

"How do you know my name?" he asked. His voice was cracking due to his being unable to use it for such a long time.

She briefly wondered what it was like to be in that kind of pain. And then she remembered that she knew already.

"Because it has been my duty to keep an eye on you for a thousand years, as well as the rest of your siblings."

His eyes narrowed ever so slightly, and he tilted his head a little. She had failed to realize just how similar his siblings were to him. None of them had trusted her at first glance, not that they should have. Not after what happened with Marcellus, a man they had once trusted.

The Mikaelson's were by no means innocent when it came to Marcel's anger against them. It was justified, yes, but only to a certain extent. They killed a person for the greater good and for the protection of their family as well as others. He tried to kill them for revenge. There was a vast difference between the two situations.

"I suppose I should elaborate a little more," she said, and then moved to stand up beside him. "Will you take a seat with me?"

His brow furrowed, and he glanced around, not seeing anywhere to sit other than the ground. Then she gestured behind him, and he was startled to see a stone bench at the back of his knees; one that had not been there before. Nevertheless, he sat down, and awaited for her explanation.

She took a seat beside him. "I want you to know, Mr. Mikaelson, that your family is safe. I know that while you have been in pain for many weeks, you have always been worried about them. You even focused on them more than yourself, I imagine."

"And how do you know that?" he asked, a brow raising.

"That is who you are," she said. "You have made mistakes over your thousand years, Niklaus, but you have always loved your family."

She was well aware that he wanted to know how she knew about his family, but she continued.

"Also, I want you to know that your daughter and Hayley are safe. I have ensured that."

His eyes widened, and before he could ask how she knew, she suddenly looked up at the castle. A soft smile came onto her face.

"Ah. They're awake, I believe. Good."

"Who is awake?" He was getting a little more rough with his speech. He was beginning to get irritated with her cryptic way of speaking.

She only smiled more, looking back at him.

"Before we get to that, I need to tell you what I am. I am a Dream Reaper, a creature you have likely never heard of. I am the person that gives you one last memory or vision when you die, and then I deliver your soul to the Grim Reaper, who takes you to where your soul belongs. My job involves following "The Fates". They are books that tell us every possible pathway that a person could take leading up to their death. When your family members became poisoned, I went through the fates. And you were not, nor any of your family members, supposed to die."

He blinked a few times, most likely trying to absorb what she was saying. However, she wanted to get to the point.

"And so, because it is my job to uphold the fates, I needed to make sure that they survived. I took things into my own hands."

"How?" he asked.

She beamed at him, a shine showing in her eyes. She stood up, and walked towards the castle.

"You will understand soon, Niklaus. Sooner than you may think if you follow me inside."

She went into the castle, holding the door open for him. He caught it, careful not to touch her hand, and went in behind her. She went towards the dining room, and was met with a very curious Aspin coming out of it and into the hallway. She was looking down at the glass she had filled with orange juice. She looked up, saw Avarice, and grinned.

"Avarice! I was wondering when you-"

She cut herself off when she looked up and saw the man standing behind her.

The very moment she saw him, her eyes went wide, and her hands went limp. The glass fell to the floor, breaking on contact. The juice went out in a puddle and the glass shattered.

"Oh my god," Aspin whispered.

The Mikaelson's, Levi, and Vanessa quickly came rushing out of the dining room to see what had happened.

While Avarice had a soft smile on her face, Levi, Aspin, Vanessa, and the Mikaelson's - including Niklaus - were too shocked to really react to what had happened. That didn't last long, though.

Rebekah bounded over the glass and juice, her heels breaking the glass even more. She almost slipped on the juice, but then embraced her brother as if she hadn't seen him in a thousand years. It must have felt that way for them.

This meeting would not be the same as the others. When Niklaus had dagger his siblings and then woken them again, they were angry with him. Rightfully so. But this time, he had sacrificed himself to keep them safe. They were not looking at their jailer. They were looking at their saviour.

Niklaus blinked a few times, then took in multiple shaky breaths before pulling his sister tight to him and hugging her back.

The others had a similar reaction, and when Rebekeah released her brother, Elijah replaced her. He clutched Niklaus to him. Avarice knew that Elijah had once believed he would never see Klaus again when he had been bitten by Marcel. Now, Elijah was proven wrong.

Freya and Kol embraced their brother happily, and Kol was the first to speak.

He smiled. "It's good to see you again, Nik. Really."

He had to add in the "really", simply because he was Kol. Klaus probably wouldn't have believed him otherwise.

Avarice had wanted to stay a little longer, but she was absolutely exhausted. She was glad that the others had looked away from her, not paying attention to her appearance. She looked more than just a little ill. She felt it, too. But she had not wanted to make Klaus uncomfortable or to make the Mikaelson's worried.

She turned and went to the spiral wide spiral staircase that was placed near the dining room. Her fingers clutched at the bannister a little harder than they normally would have.

She went up the steps, and then felt a cold hand on hers. She looked down to see Levi staring up at her with a concerned look in his eyes.

"Please tell me that you're all right," he whispered. "Tell me that you did not harm yourself to bring him here."

She nodded, giving him a thankful and yet small smile. It was all she could muster. "I am fine, Levi. I promise. I just need to rest."

He didn't know what to say to her, but then replied with a simple nod and let go of her hand.

She felt another pair of eyes on her, and glanced down to see Elijah watching her with an equally worried expression.

She rushed up the staircase in the hopes that she would not be followed.