Chapter 21

William opened the door and sagged visibly as the two detectives traded surprised looks.

"Carl Dortman here?"

"Who is it, dear?" The voice drifted across the large room and Carl appeared in the entrance behind William, his satin robe suddenly clutched tightly about his body.

"It's the police, sweetums," Jerry mimed, as he slid William a sly glance and walked past him into the huge livingroom. "Jesus! Look at this view and the piano! Christ, a pink piano!"

"It's rose..." Carl tied his robe and found refuge in the corner of the sofa.

"Permission to come aboard," Jerry said as he flopped onto the far end of the same massive sofa and sank into the glove soft leather.

"M-may I ask just what you gentlemen want?" William went and stood behind Carl, both hands jammed into his lounging pant pockets.

Out came the Bettmeir notebook and he flipped through several pages before pausing and folding the sheets over the spine and reading intently.

"You would be, William...?"

"Partiger. Mister Dortman and I share this apartment."

"Sweet." Jerry.

Bettmeir turned his attention to Carl. "Roger Cullen. We know you knew him, Mister Dortman. We also know you knew him by his alias, Don Tell."

Jerry snickered.

"While you were meeting Roger Cullen at the address on Melrose, did he ever mentio—"

"I never saw him at that address."

"Sorry. Where did you two meet?"

William stepped back aghast. His hands flew up to his mouth and he looked at Carl in shock. "You- you were seeing Roger!"

Carl spun on the sofa, his robe exposing a pale leg. "William, it's not what you—

"He said it was just me!"

The three men gaped, stunned. William was pacing back and forth, ramming his hands through his hair and stifling the beginning of a wail. Carl looked at Bettmeir with fright and confusion. Bettmeir looked at Jerry blankly and Jerry rolled his eyes and hauled himself to his feet, blowing out a noisy breath.

"William what are you—"

"He swore it was just me! You- you were cheating..."

"Me! You've just admitted being with Roger!" Carl recovered his aplomb enough to turn indignant at the accusation. "You're the cheat, William, and after I've given you the best—"

"Oh please! Have your fairy fight later," Jerry interrupted, crossing to William and blocking his pacing. "When did you see Roger Cullen last?"

William stuttered his answer and then returned to his tirade against Carl.

"Enough, goddamit! Sit down. Right there." Jerry shoved William down onto the sofa and stood towering over him.

"He lied to me," William said petulantly.

"Oh grow up, William." Carl changed from meek to dominant, and with a visible intake of courage, he jutted a challenging chin at the detective.

"You wanted to know if he mentioned something?"

"Rita Cornell." Bettmeir read his notes. "Maybe by the name, Hatti Ambrose."

"She was his- his protégé. Some thought they were an item but Roger, in spite of his public actions, was a dues paying member of our fraternity."