Chapter 13

Bettmeir waved his arms in frustration at the questions raining down on him from the doctor, Mrs. Dowley and Elora Gates. Jerry had sneaked off to the cafeteria and was enjoying a dry ham sandwich and a Coke from the dispensing machines.

"Listen, lady," Bettmeir turned his scowl on Mrs. Dowley. "Hargrave was just answering some questions when he fell over on his desk. Neither my partner or I touched him and if you so much as breathe your allegation about police brutality you'll find out what it really is!"

"You can't talk to her that way, detective!" The young doctor placed a calming hand on Mrs. Dowley's shoulder and stuck out his chin at Bettmeir. "That's a- that's criminal!"

"Youk now what's criminal here? You, standing around like Horatio playing bridge instead of working to help the patient. Now buzz off!"

Elora waited until the doctor had led Mrs. Dowley away before stepping forward and with an uncontrolled smile said, "That's Horatius at the Bridge, detective"

He glowered in her direction. "Whatever. What's your interest in this anyway?"

"I'm Mister Hargrave's companion."

"Really." He leaned back and ran his eyes over her entire body.

"Did that confirm anything for you?"

"Yes, but not what you think. What do you know about Hargrave and Bootheel?"

Elora wet her lips and forced a smile. "Whatever Chester does with his male friends is his business, we have a separate arrangement."

"So you know what goes on there?"

"I have a vague idea." She looked down at her shoe and traced a tiny circle on the tile.

"A vague idea... would you like a firm idea?"

Her eyes flashed angrily and she stood a little taller. "I don't have to answer any of your questions, detective and I certainly don't have to stand here and listen to your opinions."

"On the contrary, Miss Gates. Your declaration of being Hargrave's... companion makes answering my questions a must. Like for example, where were you when Roger Cullen was killed?"

She gaped at the detective and her face mottled with rage. "You can shove your questions, detective. My lawyer will be happy to point out my rights should you care to proceed."

Bettmeir watched her strut away down the hall, his thoughts mixed with business and the way her skirt played about her hips.

"That'll give you acne, partner." Jerry came up behind Bettmeir and nudged him with his shoulder.

"Some things are worth the trouble."

"Ohoo... what did I miss?"

"That was Hargrave's 'companion'." He drew quotes in the air. "She has a vague idea of what goes on at Bootheel but claims it's Chester's business and she told me to shove my questions about Cullen."

"Sounds like a woman I could get to like."

"Sure, Jer."

"You think she might be involved?"

"Who knows."

"Chester?"

"Doctor Uppity tells me that he had a massive heart attack brought on by your questioning and that—"

"What! Wait a minute! My ques—"

"Just kidding, partner. Stress did it. He's expected to be okay but won't be active or even out of here for a few weeks."