Chapter 20

Jean Travis shared the isolated booth in the back of the quiet bar with the newly christened, Leana Winslow. Both had all the necessary papers to allow for travel and purchases and once they both emptied their bank accounts, they would be gone. Right now, a leisurely drink and a few moments to relax from the excitement of the past several hours was their first priority. They had driven their own cars back down to the area near the border, back near the mall, accepting the fact that crossing the border would likely be their next move.

"It's easy to understand how you became the club's Cropmaster." Jean spoke with a trace of awe. Vin didn't know what hit him."

Leana laughed. "Literally. Speaking of being hit, how's the mouth, it looks a little better?"

"Still a tad numb but not bad. It's the thickness I don't like; I feel like a cartoon fish."

"The Angelina look." Leana laughed.

"Right." She sipped again. "Vin was so eager to please by the time we left I thought we might have to bring him along." Jean stirred the olive around in her martini.

"It's all a matter of experience and close observation of the subject, and it doesn't take very long."

"I noticed."

"Your friend fancied himself a stud with an unassailable leverage over both of us. You just play to those fancies and the next thing you know, the upper hand is yours. Vin will be a long time regaining his confidence when it comes to maneuvering women."

Jean sipped her drink carefully and drew little arcs on the table with the swizzle stick. "Where do you think we should go?"

Leana stared back calmly. "Are we a 'we'?"

"Well I- I kind of thought..."

"Think back to how we got together, Jean. It's not the best formula for forging friendships."

Jean felt her face heat and she shifted in the booth causing the leather to squeak. "That was a mistake, I admit. I don't know what I was thinking... with Roger it seemed so- so adventurous."

Leana watched her; watched the way she held her head and where her eyes went as she spoke. Something just felt off and she cautioned herself to keep her guard up.

"If we are a 'we', we're going to have to see how much money we can raise before we consider any destination. I'm not interested in having to work my way around the world for the rest of my days."

"No, me either. I think I have about eight or nine thousand I can get together as long as there're no problems."

"Well I have considerably more than that and I can get it without any trouble." She spun her glass on the table and waited a beat. "Traveling together is fine with me, Jean, but I'm not interested in setting up house, okay?"

"Pity." She said it with a pleasant smile. "I know. What's yours is yours and what's mine is mine... including our finances." Her grin widened and Leana cocked an eyebrow and drank from her glass. "First thing I guess is to get our money then check out some good, safe go to locations. How about tomorrow noon, right back here?"

Leana nodded and gathered up her purse. "Probably the best place. I imagine our easiest choice is right across the border. Find a place to make more concrete plans."

"Do you have some place for tonight?"

"I'll manage... you?"

"Oh yeah, I can find a spot okay. See you at noon tomorrow." There was an awkward moment as they stood by the booth, uncertain whether to shake hands or part with a female wind kiss. A sample of both ended the uncertainty.

***********

Vin sealed the package with a violent slap of tape over the envelope flap. He was thirty minutes late already and he was still aching from his earlier humiliation. He pulled his jacket on gently and gathered up his car keys, throwing a last look at the tangle of ropes and belts on his messy bed. The Ettinger woman had completely suckered him, turning what he thought was an advantage into her complete domination of him. Rita had just sat by and enjoyed every minute of his whining and begging and when they finally cut him loose, they left with all the papers and nothing for him.

He slammed the door and hurried down the stairs to his car. First things first. Deliver the package to his other client, get the money and then watch him track little Miss Cornell down and teach her a lesson. He managed a smile of self-congratulations through his anger knowing that wouldn't be difficult at all.

When he'd called his client and drug source with the information on Rita he was rewarded with another identity request and had enjoyed the bonus of raising the price when the client called back demanding a rush delivery. All Vin's work included an insurance policy. In the case of forged papers he always included a micro GPS chip in case he ever needed to bargain or, as in this case, run down a welcher.

Vin pulled up at the roadside garage agreed upon and tooted twice on the horn. A moment later a tall, pale looking man in his middle sixties came out of the garage office and ambled casually toward the car. He wore a beige windbreaker and dark pants with an open neck, blue striped sports shirt. He climbed in the passenger side and nodded a greeting.

"Got it?"

"Right here." Vin handed him the envelope. The man studied the cover for a moment and then pulled a thick envelope from his jacket and passed it over.

"The other item is in there as well."

"Pleasure doin' business, Mister Cowley; it's a good name. Suits you."

"Do you have anything on that other matter?"

"As a matter of fact I do." Vin explained how his equipment worked and he gave the man the necessary information. "Everything you need is in that package."

"Does that mean my papers are clean?"

Vin blushed and showed a silly grin. "Just run them over a good magnet somewhere and they will be. I uh- I wouldn't mind hearing how things work out if it's possible."

"Professional curiosity?"

"That too."

The man jerked his head, concluding their business, and got out of the car. Vin watched him go and then opened the envelope. Inside the fold of bills were three small packages of white powder and he grinned as he tore open the corner and rubbed a sample of the contents over his gums.

"Aaahh, a definite pleasure doin' business."