Ladybug's Beginning Part One

A very long time ago in a land far away, there was a prince, and a princess.

They were from neighboring kingdoms, the prince from the kingdom of Agreste, and the princess from the kingdom of Dupain-Cheng. Their families had ruled for generations.

The prince and the princess had been betrothed to each other at birth in order to form an alliance between the kingdoms, for the land these families ruled over were small, but together they could be mighty.

For a small time, there was peace.

But when a lethal illness swept across the land, it was chaos. The powers of creation and destruction were out of balance.

The rulers of the kingdoms came together and summoned the greatest sorcerer known to create a power that could protect the land from the plague, but by the time he was finished, it was too late....

Hundreds, thousands of people died from the epidemic...

Including the queen of the Agreste kingdom.

The sorcerer still offered the rulers the gifts he constructed to protect the kingdoms, but King Agreste, consumed by his grief, sent the old man into exile in the mountains.

King Agreste broke the alliance between the two kingdoms, he sheltered his son and household to no end, breaking the betrothal agreement between the kingdoms, and closing the gates of his castle to all.

But far away, atop of the mountains, the wise sorcerer created a temple, training and waiting. For he knew that, in time, the right people would come along...

To wield a miraculous power.

-----

Many years later....

"Miss?" Marinette heard someone say as the door to her room opened with a creeeek, "Miss, it's time to wake up, you're going to be late for meeting with the council of representatives!"

She felt a gentle hand shake her shoulder, trying to wake me from my sleep. The voice belonged to Alya, her lady in waiting and closest friend.

Marinette rolled over and groaned, "Another meeting? With the Bourgeois family?"

Alya giggled at her friend's complaints, "You know this happens every week." She replied, pulling the covers off of me. The sudden cold woke me up and made me shiver.

Marinette slowly pulled herself into a sitting position, "But the Bourgeois' get elected every year! We all know they're using bribery."

"Even so. As your mother and father always say-"

"'If we wish to be kind and just rulers,'" Marinette said, imitating her father's voice, "'We must respect the decisions of our people.' I know I know," She laughed. Her parents did say that a lot.

"Now let's get you dressed." Alya said as she grabbed Marinette's hands and pulled her out of the comfort of her bed. Marinette rubbed her eyes sleepily as Alya called in the handmaidens to assist her.

"You have a busy day today, Princess," Alya said, pulling open a scroll with the day's activities written on it, "First the meeting with the council of representatives, then the floor goes to the citizens with grievances, and later a carriage ride around the kingdom, greeting the people. Not to mention your sewing and literature classes in between."

Marinette gave a sarcastic sigh, dramatically holding her hand to her forehead as the handmaidens began to tie her corset, "Oh the life of a princess is a hectic one indeed!" Marinette said with a giggle.

Alya played along, laughing and laying a hand on her friend's shoulder, "Yes, indeed! Getting dressed by hand maidens, sleeping in a luxurious bed every night, helping the citizens of the kingdom everyday! It must be exhausting!"