Chapter 6

As requested :P Vote, comment and fan! xo

___________________________________________________________________________

“I need a fucking record deal.” I mumble, holding my head in my hands before looking up. Of course, I'm talking to nobody, why not?

It's Tuesday which means that I'm singing again. It also means that fucking River is going to be there. That is the one place I can be myself and he just had to ruin it. I down my vodka in one before standing up to go backstage. I spot him in the far corner, serving drinks so I dart behind the curtain. I've been avoiding him like the plague for a few days since that day, fucking Taylor a little too much. Like I've said, our relationship is shit.

“We have a regular singing for us today, most of you should know him, it's Alex Jackson.” The man who introduces me regularly nods and I give him a weak smile before stepping onto the stage and sitting down, getting ready to play an acoustic set.

I remind the crowd what my name is and I see River's head snap up. He glances at me briefly before looking down. He's too far away for me to see the hue of his blue eyes. I start playing and smile as I see people sway, more people this time.

It's calming.

It makes me proud.

It's me.

“Thank you so much, you've been incredible. I'll see you next Tuesday.” I tell the crowd after I've finished. It's not a long set but it's enough for me. It's something. They cheer back as I leave and I can still hear them.

“Becoming quite the celebrity, Alex.” I turn my head and see the manager smiling at me.

“Yeah, I guess.” I shrug, holding my guitar awkwardly.

“Listen, you're good and we've all been talking and we think that you deserve some more time to sing. I know you want to make it so how about you come do a gig here in the very near future? In about a month or two? An actual gig, cause a fuss and get some big wigs in.” The manager suggests, raising an eyebrow. My mind goes fuzzy, I don't deserve this kindness.

“Wow, th-that would be awesome! Thank you so much.” I could kiss him right now. But I don't. 

“Hey, don't sweat it. But you'll have to get a band, alright? Someone on drums, two other guitars, understood?” He orders, crossing his arms.

“Yes. Of course, sir. I won't let you down.” I promise. I'm determined to take this music thing seriously.

“Great. See you next week, kid.” I nod, still reeling from what he'd offered me.

This is going to work.

No distractions.

*

A band? Right. That is easy seeing as how I can ask people at work if they had distant relatives who play drums. I can try the same for the guitarists I need, it's not that hard.

The thing is, they need to be people who really want this like I do. People I can trust and are loyal and won't screw me over. There aren't many people like that anymore.

I march into work early, going over to one of the kids who work here, coffee in hand.

“Morning, Danny.” Yep, just read his name tag.

“Hey...Alex?” More of a question than a statement but I'm on a mission, too occupied to care.

“Listen, do you know anyone who can play drums or guitar?”

“Erm, why?” He asks, raising an eyebrow.

“Well, it's just that I'm looking for three guys. You see, I sing and I need a band.” I tell him the truth, not bothering to lie.