Chapter 3

“It's time for you to go on, Alex.” One of the guys tells me with a pat on the back. I nod, the nerves building up in the pit of my stomach. It was the second time I would play in the this bar prior to the agreement I had with the manager. I walk on to the stage and people who were here last week notice me as recognition flashes across their eyes.

“Hey, I'm Alex Jackson and I hope you enjoy this.” I'm not big on introductions as I launch straight into the first song. Like before, it's not mine but many people haven't heard this. I see some members of the audience sway to the music I'm playing acoustically and I smile.

After I finish my set, I nod briefly and walk off as people resume drinking and talking.

“Good job, you're really great! Are you sure you're not signed?” The manager raises an eyebrow, amusement in his boring brown eyes.

“No, I'm not.” I assure him.

“Ah, well you should be.” He smiles and walks off. That's probably the nicest thing anyone has ever said to me, I think to myself. I pack my guitar into it's case and do what I did last week; go to my car silently.

I have doubts about coming here because what if people found out I play here? It was a local bar, after all. I haven't even told Taylor because I'm afraid she won't take me seriously. She tells me that she supports me but there is always a hint of scepticism in her eyes.

I treat music like a sordid affair.

*

As I walk up to my apartment, I bump into River. He'd been sort of avoiding me since he'd fucked the dirty blonde I recommended.

“Hey.” He smiles awkwardly, pulling the sleeves of his jacket down subconsciously.

“Evening.” I reply tersely, looking at the door to home.

“Listen, about that other night...” River rubs the back of his neck, looking up as he searches for the right words.

“What about it?” I snap, growing impatient.

“I don't make a habit of crying in front of guys, especially not ones I've just met.” He looks down, clearly embarrassed.

“Don't worry about it. I guess I was just being nosy.” I reply, tension slowly disappearing from the air around us.

He says, “I'll see you around,” ducking his head while he steps around me.

Huh.

I must have imagined the seductive tone to his voice.

I go into my apartment and bolt the door shut, turning around to see a furious looking Taylor.

I didn't tell her where I was going to be.

Shit.

“I was waiting for you and you never fucking came!” She yells with her hands on her hips, giving off a sense of authority.

“Tay, I'm sorry.” I then realise that she's dressed up and she's got her favourite necklace on which I bought her last year and she's got her hair in a bun and she's got her 'going-out' lipstick on.

“We made plans, Alex!” She shouts, looking me in the eye. Now, I'm not usually scared but her presence is intimidating.

“I know and I forgot. I'm sorry but I had something to do.” I tell her, knowing that it would just make her more mad.

“Something to do? God, Alex, you're such a jerk. I asked you if you were free and you said yes. You promised me we would go out. It's not fair that you keep ignoring me like this. I'm your girlfriend!” She insists.