Ch 18- Memory is a Powerful Thing (Part 1)

"Sebastian, I must go to school," Emily explained as she stood behind the changing screen. "It is mandatory."

She slipped her black and red plaided skirt around her slender hips before checking the rest of her uniform.

Her school uniform consisted of the skirt, a white button down blouse with the sleeves rolled up to her elbows and the bottom tucked into the skirt, white stalkings that came up to her knees, and black flats.

She walked out from behind the screen toward Sebastian, who was holding her black and red stripped tie.

"I still do not see why you will not just let me tutor you," Sebastian said as he knelt on the ground before her, wrapped the tie once around her neck, and began tying it with long, quick, and steady fingers."I know more than your teachers could ever hope to learn in their short lifetime." He straightened her tie as he finished.

"I know you do, Sebastian, but it would look peculiar if you suddenly showed up and started tutoring me out of nowhere," she sighed.

Truthfully, she would rather have him teach her than go to school, but it would be too highly suspect.

"We could just say your mother hired me," Sebastian suggested as he turned her around and began lightly brushing her long hair. She watched in the mirror as her eyes darkened with sadness. He caught this in her reflection as he looked up when she didn't reply. He sighed to himself as he finished braiding her hair and tied a ribbon at the end to keep it in place."This is why you should stay home for a while longer. It has only been a few days since that time." He placed his hand on her shoulder and gave a reassuring squeeze.

She was quiet a moment before brushing his hand off. "This place is no longer my home." She turned and walked around him, picking up her backpack on the way out.

*****

Her eyes opened slowly, the room around her dark at first as she tried to find something to focus on.

Her entire body hurt as unseen flames licked at her insides. It was like someone was trying to cook her from the inside out. She rolled onto her hip and nearly screamed as her muscles burned hotter.

She distantly hear voices, but could only make out bits and pieces of what they were saying.

"...found a tape recorder in the hall... They probably used it to... Jasmine swears she never... Integra may be a problem at this point. What are you...?" a male voice asked. It sounded so familiar, but she couldn't put it together.

"I will wait and see what Lady Emily has to say about Integra," Sebastian replied. His voice she could recognize in a heartbeat. She'd known him for almost twelve years now. "As for the tape recorder, they probably knew My Lady's overprotectiveness toward what few siblings she has left. They definitely will not get out of harming My Mistress so easily."

"It is obvious you harbor feelings for... do when the time comes to devour her?" the other male asked.

It was quiet for a moment.

"I have decided to..." Sebastian was replying.

What little vision she had went black as the darkness took her again.

*****

She sat alone in the back of the family car, her elbow propped up against the door of the car as she rested her chin in her hand.

It had been nearly three years since her mother died, but the pain was still fresh in her heart.

She stared blankly out the window, not really seeing the familiar sights as the driver took her to school.