Chapter 23

The following night I lay awake in the bed that made my skin itch with memories.

The computers that once lined my shelves were shoved messily into boxes. The walls that used to scream with their purple seemed bland and faded out. All of the picture frames and small pieces of my previous self had been scrubbed away leaving a bitter residue.

I couldn't sleep now. My mind was too awake.

The door slipped open, Jason stared at me for a second before he came inside.

"I had a feeling you'd be awake." 

I let out a small laugh.

"How could I not? I mean we've only escaped killers and thugs, knowing that they're coming for us again, yet we're supposed to stay here and 'deal with it like a family'."

"Is there any correct way to deal with this?" Asked Jason after a small moment of silence.

"We run again. We can call you every now and then, but we need to run until they give up on us,  if they give up on us." I said, becoming more awake.

"I don't think Dad will like that, Mom'll get over it but Dad was a wreck. He even wanted to get a divorce but felt bad on Mom."

I was in shock.

"I-I didn't know that."

"I don't think either of us could handle it if you left."

The room was so quiet, we could hear the nothingness in the hallways. The slight rush of air outside as the storm kicked in. Something pattering against the side window raising a slight anxiety inside of me.

"I can't get you all killed. They'll use you as a leverage against me. The only reason I never returned was because I knew what they would do to you guys. And we ended on such bad terms. I've seen it happen to so many people and I've sworn that I would never let anyone hurt any of you. I don't care what our relationship is like I can't let them hurt you, I just can't." 

I didn't realize I was crying until I found myself unable to speak and felt my brothers warm embrace. It was filled with longing that I couldn't help but squeeze him tightly, like I was scared he would disappear if I let go. My throat had dried out completely and the feeling of uncontrollable sobbing felt so raw.

"You're crushing me." He said after a moment.

I wiped at my eyes sheepishly and shook my head.

"I don't know what to do any more."

"Sleep. Just sleep and we'll figure this out...together." He said, giving me a curt smile.

I stared at him for a second before I nodded my head and he planted a gentle kiss on my temple before leaving.

I had no idea what I was going to do, but I would protect mine and Chelsea's family if it was the last thing I did.

****

When I woke up I jumped in shock when Chelsea sat at the edge of my bed, smiling sadly.

Her face was stained with tears and her cheeks were flushed. I almost forgot herself, her mother and Mindy had spent the night here.

"Are you okay?" I asked her.

She shook her head.

"I feel guilty. I look at them and I'm trying to pretend that everything will be okay. But they weren't kidnapped for two years, they don't understand how difficult it will be."

The look in her eye told me her mind was on something, a strange best friend intuition told me it wasn't to do with our current situation.

"What's on your mind? I can tell that something's bothering you."