Chapter 5

Marinette was sitting uncomfortably on Adrien's cot. Her eyes darted nervously around the room. She couldn't get what Inferno said out of her mind.

What did it all mean?

Adrien returned to her, carrying a cup of water. He handed it to the shaken up girl and then proceeded to take a seat. He raised an eyebrow. "So, what was it you wanted to tell me?"

"I, um," Marinette coughed. She took a sip of water and then cleared her thoughts. "Inferno caused the apartment building to burst into flames. His brother barely made it out alive."

Adrien widened his eyes in shock, sitting up straight. "A-are you serious?"

"Yes," Marinette frowned. "Then in the woods, he told me that the government would be after people like us... And that we should all team up together."

"No way!" Adrien yelled, taking his gloves off and throwing them on the ground in anger. "After the stunt he pulled at the apartment complex, never! He could've killed someone!"

"That's what I said!" Marinette exclaimed. She grabbed her forehead in dismay. "What are we going to do now?" she wondered.

"I don't know, but we are definitely not teaming up with Inferno," Adrien stated. "There's a big difference between people like him and I."

If only I could figure out the true extent of my powers, Marinette thought.

She fell deeper into her thoughts and wrapped her arms around her torso. She leaned up against the wall. Then, a risky idea came to her mind as she glanced at Adrien's hands.

Marinette unwrapped herself and stood up. She looked up at Adrien, his figure slightly towering over her. "Kiss me," she demanded, unblinking.

"What?" Adrien breathed, his cheeks turning a shade of red.

"Kiss me!" Marinette exclaimed, her heart pounding. "I have to know."

"Know what?" Adrien asked, slightly terrified.

Marinette grabbed his arms with her hands and stood on her tippy toes. She immediately pressed her lips against his, locking in the kiss. Surprised, Adrien's hands flew up and gripped around Marinette's arms to steady himself. The kiss lasted longer than she had intended it to, but it was worth every second.

She released, breathing in heavily. Her eyes pinched close, waiting. Adrien was puzzled and his cheeks were a dark red. No words escaped the boys' frazzled mouth.

"I'm still alive!" Marinette opened her eyes and cheered after a few seconds of stunned silence. "You didn't kill me!"

"What are you talking abo-" Adrien began, but he quickly caught on and glanced down at his hands. They were ungloved and he had placed them on her bare arms. And his lethal touch hadn't killed her!

"What the-" Adrien stuttered. "How?!"

He panicked. His eyes darted to the gloves that lay carelessly on the floorboards of the cabin. They were quickly placed on his hands again.

"I'm immune to your deadly touch, Adrien!" Marinette exclaimed.

"But how?!" Adrien asked. As if he didn't believe it, he ran outside and touched the leaf of a tree with his bare hand. It wilted instantly. He hurried back inside, a confused mess.