Chapter 1

Present day~

Marinette sat stiffly in her seat, her eyes pinned to the wall. She bit her lip as a bead of sweat rolled down her forehead. She was stuck; and she didn't have much time left.

Come on, Marinette thought frantically to herself. You can figure this out.

Her nerves were shot and her heart raced with anxiousness. She had to be mindful of whatever came out of her mouth next, or else she would be a goner.

It was life or death.

"Uhhh," Marinette mumbled, looking down. She squeezed her eyes shut. "The sum of the two equations is five thousand and seventy-six?"

Her teacher smiled happily at the answer. "That is correct. Very good, Marinette."

The girl breathed out her anxiousness, relieved that the answer was correct. Alya patted her excitedly on the back.

"Way to go!" she exclaimed.

"Thanks," Marinette smiled. "You have no idea how nervous I was."

Kim peeked his head out from behind Alya, a wide smile on his face. "Well, you broke the tie and now our team wins the review game! We all get 10 points extra credit on the test tomorrow! Woo!"

Knowing Kim, he'd definitely need it. No wonder he was so excited.

"That's all for today," the teacher announced, just as the bell rang. "You're dismissed."

Alya and Marinette stood up and gathered their belongs before exiting the room. Alya walked beside her friend down the hallway. "Seriously, you are a math genius, girl. How do you do it?"

Marinette shrugged. "I guess I'm just lucky-WOAH!" Her words were cut off as she stumbled over her own feet, nearly falling.

Alya quickly grabbed her friends arm and hoisted her back up, a playful smile working its way onto her face. "You were saying?"

Marinette chuckled, pulling her arm away. "Hey, it could've been much worse."

The two girls chuckled as they approached the exit. Thankfully, it was the end of the day so Marinette could go home and relax a bit.

"See you later?" Alya asked, stopping in front of the door.

Marinette widened her eyes as she remembered. Alya had invited her over for dinner at her place tonight; she had completely forgot!

"Oh, yeah!" Marinette exclaimed. "See you later!"

Alya raised an eyebrow before chuckling and walking back into the school to meet up with her boyfriend, Nino.

Marinette skipped down the steps and started walking towards her house which wasn't far away at all. She entered through the front door of the bakery, everything seemingly normal. This assumption was crossed out when she saw her parents staring at the TV, gasping and covering their mouths in shock.

"What's going on?" Marinette asked, immediately alarmed.

"Look," Sabine said, her voice shaky. She pointed at the TV screen in horror.

Marinette's eyes adjusted to the news channel report. It was a live broadcast from a helicopter of a man in a hoodie that was crossing the highway.

"Witnesses say the man could burn anything he touched," the female news anchor said over the broadcast. "He is on the loose and very dangerous. Reports say that he has critically injured more than 11 people. We can't stress this enough; please stay inside if you live near or in Paris, and if you see this man, contact authorities immediately."