Chapter 15b

I had just finished tightening the straps when I saw the deer. It was a young stag with velvety horns. It sipped water from the newly melted creek while eying me at the same time. I thought of the basket of food I had wolfed down earlier. This deer would more than make up for that. It would probably cover both me and Goben for an entire week.

A twinge of guilt made me hesitate. I'd heard Siena say "all life is precious" on more than one occasion. She would never consider this.

You're not Siena, I reminded myself. You're you.

I also wasn't a hunter. That had always been the job of those with bows and arrows. The only thing I had going for me was the occasional target practice with fireballs. It would have to do.

I pulled my arm back, careful not to make any sudden movements, and gathered energy into my palm until it seethed with heat. I aimed for the center of the deer, then flung my arm forward. The movement startled the deer, and it turned to run. I watched breathlessly as my fireball hurtled toward it. Although the ball went exactly where I aimed, the deer was faster.

The fireball exploded against a tree, scorching it. The force of the blast knocked the deer to the ground. I scrambled to my feet and raced toward it, readying another fireball while ignoring my screaming foot. The stag was dazed and attempting to stand again, so I hurled the fireball directly at its head, hoping to kill it instantly. This time it worked. The force of the blow sent the deer back to the ground, and then it lay still.

I approached the body. The acrid smell of burning hair and flesh filled my nostrils. Half the deer's face was scorched black. Its eye was burned out and crusted over. Bright red flesh showed along its neck where the hair had burned away, and bits of singed fur covered its chest.

I looked away and leaned against a tree, a hand pressed against my chest to keep from vomiting. I had never killed a living thing before. The effect of fire on flesh revolted me in a way I hadn't anticipated. Visions of my charred parents loomed into my mind, and I had to sit down.

I was destructive. And dangerous. I caused pain. And now, I caused death. Yes, I had intentionally killed the deer, but the violence of it really affected me.

I tipped my head back against the tree and gulped for air. Monster. It echoed in my head.

No.

Not a monster.

I shook off my spiraling emotions. The deer was not my parents, and this was who I was now. A hunter.

I stood up, grasped the stag's antlers, and tugged. It slid a little in the mud. Dragging the deer in this manner would take forever. I hobbled back to the rock, picked up my makeshift cane, and headed back to the house.

Thankful no one was around, I grabbed the small sled from the side of the house and limped back to the deer. It was quite an effort to haul the corpse onto the sled, but I did it. Trudging through the thicket with the deer on a sled was slow going, but much faster than dragging it across the snowy ground.

The sun was setting when I finally got back to the house. I opened the front door and both men stood up, faces relieved that I'd returned. Then they saw the sled behind me.

"Sember, you went hunting?" Goben said in disbelief.

"We eat a lot," I said simply. "This should help."

I stepped inside, my crude cane thumping against the floor as I limped. My foot throbbed now. I perched on the edge of the bed and pulled my boots off. One of the bandages oozed with blood. I sighed and removed it, then reached for the little pot of salve. Jastin took a step in my direction, and I gave him a stern look. He stopped, understanding that I didn't want his help.

I applied the salve, took the bandage off my other foot, and wrapped that around my lacerated one. Then I found the apple I had left on my bed earlier, and took a bite. I looked up as I chewed and found the two of them watching me, trying to figure out what to do or say. I sighed again. They were tiptoeing around me now. I guess it was inevitable. The least I could do was be civil.

"Jastin, you can do what you like with the animal. It's yours." My voice sounded wooden to my ears. Tired. "I apologize in advance for the . . . burned parts."

"You didn't have to—"

"I know," I interrupted. "I wanted to. I won't be eating through your winter stores."

"You have my thanks," he replied. He looked from me to Goben, who stood uncomfortably by the table, and left the house. He closed the door behind him, and I heard the scrape of the sled as he dragged it away.

"I'm sorry, Goben," I said grudgingly. I was still annoyed at him for laughing at me, but I knew my reaction had been a little disproportionate to the crime. "I know you were only pointing out the obvious. The idea of anyone being attracted to me is kind of ludicrous." Hearing myself say this aloud made my heart hurt.

"What?" Goben's forehead wrinkled with confusion. "That's not what I was laughing about."

"Well, what then? You were laughing at me, and . . . " I sighed. "I guess it doesn't matter. There are a lot of things wrong with me."

"Sember, I was laughing because Dozan is kind of a troll. I couldn't picture him being attractive to anyone."

This shocked me into silence. Dozan's gift made him attractive to females. Could it be he wasn't the sort-of-cute, curly-haired boy I thought he was? He could have been short, round, and hairy, and I wouldn't have known the difference. I snorted as derisive laughter began to bubble to the surface. "I'm so stupid."

Goben sat down next to me. "Volatile, maybe. But stupid? Never."

I took another bite of the apple and chewed thoughtfully. "You're not afraid of me, are you?"

He dug an elbow into my ribs. "What are you going to do, burn me? Not possible."

A smile replaced the frown on my face, and I leaned against him. "I'm so glad you're fireproof."

"Me too, Squirrel. We make a good team."

We sat in silence for a while, then I asked, "Does Jastin know why we're here?"

"I told him we were searching for the source of the plague, but I haven't told him about Dozan or the cave yet."

I nodded. "Okay. I think it's time. The longer we wait, the more people will die."I stood, forgetting about my foot. Then I winced and sat down again. "Well, I guess we can wait until he comes back."

Hi ho, a-votin' we will go...