Chapter 8b

He looked at me, and we shared one of those brief, non-awkward moments of understanding between siblings. Then he said, "Race you back!" and took off.

"Hey!" I trudged after him, arms laden with wood, wondering how Goben could possibly be the older sibling.

I found him waiting for me by the wood pile. "You're kind of slow," he said as I dumped the load of wood.

"Savor it." I picked twigs off my shirt. "Because it's the only time you'll ever beat me."

He smiled back at me, then it faded. "So it has to be us, huh?"

"Yes."

He plucked a piece of wood from the ground and placed it on the pile. "I don't want to leave Ma and Pa alone."

"Siena will take care of them."

"I'd rather take care of them. No one else can go with you?"

I looked down, heat rushing to my cheeks. I broke off a small twig and flexed it in my fingers. "Goben, you're one of five people who can stand to be around me more than five minutes. Siena and our parents can't go, and I don't think Nirrin is tough enough. That leaves you."

I peeked at him, hoping I wouldn't find pity or mockery in his eyes. I found neither. Only tenderness. "Okay, Squirrel, I'll go," he said quietly.

My excitement surged. "You'll go?"

"Only because you said I was tougher than Nirrin," he said, and flexed his muscles.

I laughed and kissed his cheek. "I'll go tell Siena!"

I raced to Dozan's tent feeling like I had just won a small victory. "Siena!" I called from outside the tent. "Goben's agreed to go with me!"

"She's not here," Dozan said from inside.

I poked my head through the flap. "Where'd she go?"

"She tried to revive my father again, but it didn't work. She said there's something unnatural going on here. Then she went back to the quarantine cabin. I guess she wanted to go where she could actually help."

"Okay, thanks," I said and started to leave.

"Wait."

I turned around, wondering what Dozan could possibly want to say to me. He'd made it clear he wasn't going to be helpful.

He got up and started digging around in one of the huge packs in the corner, then pulled out two large, furry cloaks. "You'll need these. Winter in the north is bitterly cold."

He laid them in my arms and I stared at them dumbly. The cloaks were heavy, made of multiple wolf pelts finely sewn together.

I looked back at him. "These are nice. You're just going to give them to me?"

He ducked his head. "Maybe I am a coward. But at least I can help a little."

My mouth twisted against the twinge of guilt nudging at me. Two cloaks did not make everything all right. He was still a sneaky—

"I'm also sorry for what I did to you. Without your permission." He tugged absently at the hem of his shirt. "Most girls don't seem to mind."

I pressed my lips together. "Most girls aren't aware they're being manipulated."

"Oh."

"It's not right, Dozan."

He squirmed and avoided my eyes.

When it became apparent he wasn't going to talk anymore, I turned toward the exit. "Thanks for the cloaks."

He stopped squirming and nodded. "When you're ready to go, I'll tell you how to get to Odavik."

* * *

The quarantine cabin was empty except for Ruba and Siena. The bedrolls had been rolled up and leaned against the wall.

"Where is everyone?" I asked as I entered.

"With their symptoms gone for the time being, no one wanted to hang around here," Ruba said as she swept the floor. "And there was no point keeping them here. Practically everyone who isn't Gifted is infected."

Even though I had already suspected how hopeless and widespread the situation was, my heart sank anyway. If something were to happen to Siena, there would be no one left to keep the sick away from death's door.

"What is it, Sember?" Siena asked. I could see the tension in her eyes and the weariness in her demeanor. She alone was responsible for the survival of so many.

"Goben's agreed to go. We leave tomorrow."

"Tomorrow?" Her brows shot up. "Isn't that a little soon?"

"I don't think we have time to waste. Things seem stable now, but the tribes are dying. As soon as you leave to help them, Foresthome will be dying. I can't allow that to happen. I have to find out what's causing this, and stop it if I can."

She gave me a tired smile. "You're so much braver than I was at your age."

I smiled back at her. "Somehow I doubt that."

"Sember, I . . . " She glanced at Ruba, who was following the discussion closely.

Aware that the conversation was about to turn private, Ruba tactfully excused herself and left the cabin.

Time for a private moment... and a vote. ;)