Morrigan

Chapter One: Morrigan

I was walking down the stairway of the cathedral, down to the basement to retire for the night where a large nest of others like me sleep so our magic doesn't harm the others around us, when I felt it. The familiar and unearthly chill.

Wyatt's voice was like winter's breath on my neck, cold and sinister, as he materialized behind me and took my hands to place them behind them behind my back.

The action was made to be sure I wouldn't hit him. But we both knew I wouldn't...Even if my arms weren't taken, his magical influence alone was enough to paralyze me. Damn my inferior magic, I thought, why do you suffer under his? Stand up from under him, damnit, do not surrender!

His hands began to caress upwards and stopped mid-elbow as if hesitant and then began to slide down. "Ducan..."

I cursed my inferior magic as Wyatt's grip tightened then relaxed. "Ducan," he began again and I forced myself not to relax at his voice. I forced myself to remain steady and stiff. As long as I was stiff, my magic could remain at a decent aura to let him know of my unease without my body outright saying it and making me into a coward.

"Either relax or I shall force you to do so against your will."

I stiffened again, this time in real fear, and it was my undoing. I could more feel him grin than see it, as the intensity of his magic's influence rose to choking levels and then forced itself upon me.

I choked my breath and then just as I fought to keep my eyes open, under the mind-numbing but searing pain, when his arms snaked around my waist and I could feel his sharp-toothed grin at my neck as he chuckled. "You asked for this, you refused to follow orders."

I tried my upmost to glare at the wall in favor of seeing Wyatt's pale ice-like eyes. I felt the air grow colder as his magic continued to force itself on me. I bit my lip, careful of my acute teeth as my magic growled. It didn't like to be suppressed and under him, it was livid.

Taking a great bite of courage, I conjured up my magic into a tight ball and, knowing the consequences would be dire should I fail, I threw myself forward and kicked him backwards the necessary two feet to withstand the backslash I knew would be coming.

This was going to hurt...

Wyatt's grin was all too smug as he caught my booted foot to my dismay and didn't allow me the needed distance. I inwardly cursed his faster reflexes as his hand began to run up my calf.  His silver hair lifted in an unseen breeze as his eyes grew brighter and whiter ad his pale skin grew even paler as his magic continued to dominate the room.

Not for long, my magic insisted and right as Wyatt cocked his head to smirk, I shut my eyes, the cursed marking over my eyes coming on fire as my eye color shifted to a unearthly luminescent green.

Then I threw it: the fiery ball of black and cerulean flames.

Wyatt blinked, seeing how I had delivered such a powerful blast of magic in such a tight space and with us so close together, he tugged my leg harder as the blast flew forward--only to throw us both forward.

My breath caught as I saw my magic, all of its lethality avoided on us both, as it exploded into tiny bits of color against the stone wall and left a nasty black smear across the wall. 

No! My magic cried within me as I found myself being thrown backwards and into the long flight of stairs behind me. But just I threw out my hand, my magic swirling about to create a hasty cloud to  catch me, a swift cold breeze wound itself snug around me and swept me from harm.