Chapter IV

The girl blinked.
"What?"
The man sighed. Crap! How in the world do I get out of this one?
"Um......."
"Did you just say what I thought you said?"
What do I do???
He turned to the girl, a nervous grin on his face. "W-what I said was...was..."
The girl scowled.
"Are you going to tell me or not?"
"I-it was...m-my...heart..."
Why did I actually tell her that?
The girl shook her head.
"What...No. That's not possible."
The man stared at her.
"I mean," she said, "you're still living and breathing. If that really was your heart, you'd be dead right now."
He gave a sheepish laugh. She's not that far off....
He turned back to the trashcan and started digging through it again. It wasn't long before he retrieved the heart, and he immediately started cleaning the grime from the other things in the trashcan off of it.
"I still don't see why you wanted​ that thing back so badly...."
The man sighed. "Like I said, it's my heart..."
The girl rolled her eyes. "Yeah, sure. Whatever."
She doesn't believe me anyway....
He sighed. Why had he been so nervous, then?
The girl walked past him out the door. What's she doing? He listened. A loud clang resounded through the house. She must have knocked over a pot or something....
A few minutes later, the girl returned. She walked up to the man and shoved something toward him.
It was a glass container.
"If you're really so set on keeping it, at least put it in a container. It would help me to not think of it too much."
"O-okay..."
He put the heart in the container. He and the girl sat in silence for a while. Every so often, the girl would open her mouth to say something, but she would stop before she actually got any words out. After about five minutes of this, she finally decided to break the silence.
"So...."
The man looked up.
"So...." He responded.
"Um...."
The girl looked down.
"So...why is that thing so important?"
He sighed.
"Like, really," said the girl.
The man shook his head.
I've got a lot of explaining to do....