Chapter I

The shuffling footsteps of a man echoed on the concrete walls of the alley, a harsh dripping, plopping to the ground with each step. Every so often, a bang followed by mumbling would ring through the dark.
"H...How.....How did he beat me so....e...easily?"
The man fell to his knees, gripping his bleeding chest with one hand, holding firmly to something in the other. He coughed. Another splatter on the ground. His vision swirled around him.
"H....H...How....?"
His lungs burned. He was too weak now.
And of all places, he thought, a human city?
This was just pathetic.
He tried to stand, but he fell into another coughing fit. He dropped back to the ground, sprawled on his stomach, blood pooling underneath him. His hand fell limp, and the object he had held firmly up to that point rolled out of his grasp onto the ground. He sighed. Just my luck.
A small sound caught his attention. He listened closer. A soft click, clack rang on the concrete. They were footsteps.
Crap.
The footsteps stopped.
No. No, don't....
He lifted his head weakly. Feet. A woman's feet, judging from the shoes. He heard a small gasp, and the feet ran over to him.
Oh crap.
"Oh....Oh my gosh....are you alright?"
The man looked up at her. What a stupid question.....
He went to snap back at her, but all he got out was a strangled "nnhgh" before he started coughing up more blood.
"Oh my gosh! We.....we need to get you to a hospital!" The girl pulled out her phone.
"No!" He coughed. He started to stand up. "R...really, I'm f...fine....." I don't need her, he thought.
"What are you doing?" The girl jumped up and stopped him with her arm. She accidentally punched him in the side, which just made him bleed more. "We really need to get you to a hospital! You need help!"
"No! No.....hospitals....." He bent down and grabbed the object he had dropped. "I....I'll be going now.....thank you....."
Before he could get even ten feet, though, he felt his legs give underneath him. The world was spinning, blurry. He coughed more. More splatters on the concrete. His vision was going in and out.
Just before he lost consciousness, he thought he saw the girl coming over to him.
Crap.