Chapter III

The man sighed. The girl certainly did her best to bandage him up, but when he looked in the mirror, he could tell it wasn't that great.
I look like one of those badly wrapped mummies from a low budget horror movie.....
He looked down at the bag in his hand. This would have to do. Hopefully, jeans and a t-shirt could cover up that mess of bandages....
He sighed. His whole body ached like he had been hit by a train. Normally, he'd be almost, if not completely, healed by this point. But no. Not this time.
I wonder why.....
He stood for a while, wracking his brain trying to find an answer. Had he really been beaten that badly?
Then he remembered.
That object he had held onto from the moment his opponent left him for dead.
The object he had dropped at least once or twice before passing out in the alley.
The object that now, for the life of him, he could not find.
Uh-oh......
He quickly finished changing and went back to the girl.
If she has it.....
"Oh! You're back!" The girl looked up. "Are you doing okay?"
"For the most part," he said.
The girl looked at him curiously. "Is something wrong?"
"Um....." He nervously ran his fingers through his hair. How do I say this.....
"You...You didn't happen to come across...something...odd...I may have had with me...when I passed out, did you...??"
She thought for a bit. Her eyes lit up.
"Oh, yeah! I remember now! It was really kind of weird though....A little gross, too..." she said.
Uh-oh. How do I explain.....
"I wasn't sure what it was at first. But, I have to ask, why in the world were you carrying around a heart? Like, an actual heart?" Her face showed a mixture of shock and disgust.
Crap.
How do I explain this? Not just that, how do I explain to a...a human??
He gave a nervous laugh. There was no way this was going to be easy....
"Um, what exactly did you do with it.....?"
The girl sighed. "It was so gross.....I just threw it out."
The man blinked.
"You did what with it?" He seemed frantic.
"I threw it out....In the trashcan...."
The man bolted to the trashcan and started digging through it. The girl came over to him.
"What are you doing?" she asked. "Wait, was that important...?"
"Yes, very," he said frantically.
"What...what makes it so important...?"
The man stopped digging for a bit. He turned and looked the girl in the eye.
"It's my heart."