Chapter 2

Chapter 2|Blackmail

'Fear doesn't shut you down;
it wakes you up.'
~ Veronica Roth, Divergent

○♡●

     I look straight into her eyes wondering how in the world I got caught in this situation. I thought we were so careful on keeping our business a secret. Nevermind my doubts before, now there was no doubt in my mind that this girl is an undercover agent - an armed one at that.

     "Woah there Cierra, put the gun down. Let's talk about this reasonably. You don't want to do anything you might regret later." I try to rationalize, my hands still suspended in the air.

     "You have the right to remain silent. Anything you say can be used against you in the court of justice." Cierra says, ignoring my attempt in reasoning with her.

     If this was any other situation, I would have snorted with laughter at her cliché choice of words. But it's not any other situation because in this situation I'm a pull of a trigger away to becoming no more. Man I wish a had a good drink in my hand or at least a cigarette.

     "How did you even find out about this place?" I ask keeping my voice calm. I'm actually really curious on how she found out and I want nothing more than to find that fool who slipped up and make them pay for the consequences which they'll never forget.

     "Well, it's not as if it's a secret. Almost everybody in every grade at school knows - even some people in other schools! Especially because almost everyone has been here at least once. I just took the opportunity to actually find out what kind of establishment you ran here and why it's located in the woods.

     Not to my surprise - of course two teenager boys hid their sketchy work in a forest because it's not even legal nor licensed. I just happened to be smart enough to find out just how many laws you boys were actually breaking before I could take you guys down. It was only a matter of time before I got all the information that I needed and I was ready to actually press some charges." She says with much pride and I actually find myself impressed by everything she's done.

     Maybe it's time to play dumb and come up with a good excuse. She might actually believe me if I make it believable enough.

     "Relief Grove is a private, undocumented, non-governmental organization that is yet to measure up to the adequate standards of a proper, minor institution; which mainly focuses on indiscriminate sociality." I smirk proudfully at my use of intellectual words.

     Hopefully she'll be wowed by my vocabulary, we'd finally bang - since that's what I came for anyway - and we'll forget about this whole situation ever happening.

     No such luck.

     She blinks in surprise, probably caught of guard by someone as smart as me, before she barks out a laugh. "Oh please, is that a nice way of saying it's illegal? Because I've been trying telling you that ever since I got here."

     My self esteem deflates a little. This whole thing is pretty demeaning and I need to do something before my whole reputation is ruined just because this girl scares me. Well it's more of the gun in her hand that scares me than her. Bad experiences.

     I take tentative steps towards her and I see her visibly clench the gun tighter. As I continue to approach her, waiting for her to stop me, something catches my eye. Her ID booklet that she flung onto the ground out of anger is now sprawled open on the page she was showing me.