“She’s not my girlfriend.”

Aurora didn’t miss the strange emotion that crossed his eyes. It was as if he was holding something back. Aurora thought about asking but decided against it. Who was she anyway? It was his matters, and she didn’t plan to stick her nose in them.

“All right, back to business,” Aurora said solemnly, her voice lowering. “Why did you save me?”

In the clatter of the noisy classroom, their conversation blended in well as no one was really paying any attention to the two people at the very back of the class.

“I don’t want to tell you,” he said blatantly with no hesitation, leaning back on his chair.

Aurora gripped the collar of his shirt, forcing him to look at her. He smirked, not the least bit bothered by her action.

“Spit it out, demon.”

The smirk vanished from his face, and he yanked himself away from her.

“What do you know about demons?” he said, anger flaring into his eyes.

“I had plenty of time to research about all those supernatural stuffs thanks to your ‘gift’,” Aurora said, drawing quotations with her fingers in the air while she said the word ‘gift’.

Aurora was glad that her voice came out strong and steady, the complete opposite of what she felt at the moment.

“Shouldn’t a human be thanking me with all her might that I gave her an almost immortal body? Isn’t that what your species have been searching for all these years? You got it without even having to -”

“You have no idea,” she said through gritted teeth, her voice dangerously low and her knuckles white from clutching her wooden chair so tightly.

He didn’t know how she felt for a good whole century every night before she went to sleep, the hundred years she lived, never aging and never changing, was filled with nothing but solitude beyond human comprehension. He’s not aware of the empty feeling inside her chest, the hollowness of life because she had nothing to live. She never asked for this power and this body. Aurora was scared of befriending people in the fear of having to watch that person age and die.

Because she had spent hours, days, months, and even years thinking about it, she had come to the conclusion that no one would treasure something that would last forever. Aurora had seen the look in those people’s eyes when they heard that they had gotten a terminal disease. It was the look that said they would enjoy every living moment from then on. She would never feel it again.

Time, an element that made humans to treasure their life, would mean nothing to her. To her, life was a meaningless drag.

“You have no idea what you took away from me,” she tried again, desperately trying to keep her voice steady.

“You’re the one who accepted the deal.”

Aurora’s words got caught in her throat. She had no reply to that line. It was indeed true. Even though she was driven by purely her instinct that day, she was, nevertheless, the one who consented this. There was no reason to put the blame on him.

A strange feeling bloomed in her chest, suffocation her and preventing her from breathing. Aurora shut her eyes as memories of that day came rushing back. The screams, blood, and murderers were limpid in her mind. She was driven by a sense of guilt. She should have died, yet she had defied nature and lived on.

“You’re right,” she mumbled weakly.

She lifted her gaze, feeling someone’s stare on her.

“Is there any way to undo this deal?”

She heard him scoff.

“Of course not, I thought you researched about demons. Do you not know the infamous deals we make, especially with humans?”

Aurora did. Those deals were irreversible, and until the person has fulfilled his or her part of the deal, the demon who offered the deal could forever control that person’s life.

“Tell me,” she said, suddenly feeling nauseous, “what do you want me to do to fulfill my part of the deal?”

Adrian glanced away from her, a shadow passing his features.

“I can’t tell you yet.”

“So you can chain me to you for eternity?” she asked, her voice rising slightly in rage at the end of her sentence.

The bell rang at the moment, drowning her words. Adrian still heard it. People filed out of the room, yet neither Adrian nor Aurora moved from their seat.

“Why are you not using it?”

Aurora didn’t need to ask to know what he was referring to. This time, she looked away. Aurora stood up, gathering her books.

“I can’t,” she said simply.

“So you made yourself blind in one eye just to escape the fact that you’re no longer human.”

Aurora stopped in her action. Her eyes snapped up to his, and he blinked at the acrimony in her gaze. The room was now practically empty, but Aurora did not notice that. Pulling her hand back, she slapped it hard across his face. His head whipped to a side, and his eyes widened in shock, not from the pain but from her action.

“You don’t know anything about me.”

With that said, Aurora stormed out of the room almost bumping into someone who was right next to the door.

Adrian, still dazed from the slap, watched her form disappear around the door.

“Did I say something wrong?” he mumbled to himself, the red mark on his cheek slowly fading. “You can stop laughing now.”

A man with dark blue hair stepped into the room, stifling his laughter with his hand.

“You just got slapped. What’s even more surprising? You’re not even mad!”

Adrian scowled, moving past him while mumbling something remotely like ‘humans’.

“Adrian, wait,” the anonymous man called out.

“What?” he grumbled annoyed.

“Your father has something to say to you.”

If any emotions had existed in his eyes, they were now gone.

***

Please vote/comment if you like it. Don't be a silent reader! :)