The Bay Days

Shout out to my readers from Drifting back. Here we go again lovelies 😉

(Flashback)
Ashley POV

I hated being the new girl, yet here I was motherless, living off food stamps and unemployment checks my dad got in the bay area. We use to live in Malibu. I use to shop at all the high class stores. Now that my mom divorced my dad she gave me away to him. No money. It was just us.

"Class we wanna welcome Ashley Davis to the class... Ashley you can take a spot next to Gerald." I nodded slowly. I could feel all the eyes on me. The other girls were giving me the death glare. My eyes met yours, before I looked down. You seemed like the bad boy of the class. A cigarette tucked between your ear and skull, not a notebook in sight. I couldn't pay attention here, all I could think about was begging my mother to come home, yet I knew it would be a waste of energy. The bell rang forty minutes later, thankfully it was the last class of the day. Without grabbing anything from my locker I rushed towards the exit, holding back frustrated tears. Senior year at this dump of a school.

"Yo new girl!" I stopped and turned around, my heart was racing in my chest. A few other girls standing nearby. "I know who you are... Little miss Mali-BU." She came closer, her breath reeked of cigarettes. In a swift movement she pushed me, all I did was stumble back before taking a deep breath, my heart rate slowing down.

"You really... Don't want to do this..." I lifted my head to look in her eyes, all she did was laugh.

"I ain't afraid of you..." She shoved me again, yet I grabbed her arm, yanking her forward and knocking her feet out from under her. Her face was in the grass and arm bent towards the sky behind her. I knew how to fight, but I couldn't fight them all off. My ego got the best of me in this moment. Two others grabbed me and that was the end of it. I was the one left black and blue with my lip gushing blood. Only to make matters worse I had to walk home knowing the crowd of people just watched me get beaten without a care.

I think the walk home is what cleared my head that day. It felt so dark in that moment, but I knew I wanted to fight. I loved it. It was a thrill for me. Maybe that was why my mother gave me up so easily. I walked out of the school parking lot and down the unfamiliar streets towards the tiny apartment I seemed to call home recently.

"Hey! Hey wait up!" A voice I didn't recognize hollered behind me. I glanced back and there was Gerald. Running to catch up with me. "Are you okay?" You were out of breath, yet your eyes never stopped staring into mine with actual concern.

"Yeah... Why... Why do you care?"

" Well Natasha can be a real bitch... And I was new last year, but obviously I didn't get beat up by her." I kept walking and you seemed to follow along beside me, waiting for my response.

" Yeah... She had a few friends... I hate this place already."

"I think everyone does.." You chuckled slightly. "I didn't catch your name..."

" Its Ashley... It seems you don't pay any attention in class Gerald."

"Eh only in the classes I like..." We were silent for awhile till we reached my street, small houses were settled beside the apartment complex. Either way it was all section 8. " Well this is my stop." I glanced at the tiny house, dimly lit and a fan being used to get a breeze going.

"You live down here too?"

" Well my mom rents the basement... Say... Do you want her to take a look at your cuts? I think she's got some supplies..." Fuck I had forgotten all about having supplies. Surely my dad didn't have much more than some bandaids and Neosporin.

" She wouldn't mind?" You shook your head with a slight smirk before leading me to the backyard. We walked down these concrete stairs to a tiny apartment like layout.

"Mom?"

"She's not here sweetie.... O gosh." This blonde woman stared at me in shock before rushing for the med kit. "Gerald what happen to her?"

"Mel, she got beat up by Natasha."

" It isn't as bad as it looks." I mumbled sitting down as she plugged my nose then worked on the cuts on my bruised face.

" You poor thing... I'm Melissa, what's your name?"

"Ashley..." It left me as a whisper as she finished up. Soon after a woman with brown hair came walking through the door.

"Hey Mel! O Gerald you're home, can you go get James- I'm sorry! Whose this?" I nearly jumped at her kindness. Her voice heightened with excitement.

"This is Ashley Gerald'a friend..." Mel kissed The woman's cheek before she walked over to me.

"I'm Suzanne. It's a pleasure to meet you..." Gerald looked at me with fear. After all I had just seen your mother and another woman show affection. They were gay, yet it didn't phase me.

"It's nice to meet you too Miss Suzanne." I slowly stood and glanced in the mirror. My eye was swollen and a few cuts from rings graced my face. "Thank you for helping me.... But I gotta get home..."

"I'll walk with you. I gotta go get my little brother anyways." I nodded slowly and Gerald led the way up the stairs. It wasn't till we were outside that you cleared your throat. "You won't say anything will you?"

"Of course not... Who would I tell anyways..." I laughed weakly as we walked, already I was exhausted. "Thanks for helping me out."

"Thanks for keeping me company... Maybe tomorrow we can walk together again?"

"I'd like that..." I stopped outside of the building and nodded to you. "Thanks Gerald."

" No problem... See you tomorrow" I'll never forget the day I first met you. It all seemed pretty epic.