Chapter 6

"If only you knew, maybe things would be different," I belt out.

Carson joins me on the next line with his high harmony, "If only you knew how you turn my skies blue. Would you love me too? If only you knew how I felt about you. "

I turn and look over at Carson when we finish and he sticks his pinky up. It's our little sign that we give each other instead of a thumbs up. I'm not sure when we started it but it just kind of stuck.

"That was beautiful. I really felt the emotion," Mr. Brides says as we come down the stairs. "Alright who's next? "

Eli pops out of nowhere. "He's right. That sounded incredible."

In that short time I had forgotten how gorgeous he was. It takes everything in me not to jump his bones right then and there.

"Thanks. We heard you earlier, you sounded great too. I love that you used your own mixes while you performed, " Carson replies. " I'm sure that if Bell knew how to speak she would also say thank you."

That gets me out of my stupor. "I can speak for myself, Carson. Thanks Eli. I didn't realize you were listening to us."

"Oh I couldn't miss the chance at hearing a pretty girl sing," Eli replies. Anyway I gotta go, I've got lots to do for my music video. It was great meeting you guys, especially you Isabella," Eli says with a wink.

As soon as Eli is out of earshot. I turn to Carson. "Is he flirting with me? Is that what being flirted with feels like? You know I'm not sure because my experience is lim-"

"Bell enough" Carson cuts me off. "Yes he was flirting with you but he's our competition, remember? Stay focused."

I look up at Carson and he's not smiling. He's always smiling. He must be really serious. "You're right," I say as I look down at my feet. "We're here to win."

"That's the spirit!" Carson replies. "So what are you thinking for our music video?"

The music video is the next stage of the competition. We have to produce, direct, and star in a music video for out song 'If Only you Knew'. The videos will all premier on television and online, then the public will vote for the top five. The public includes my entire high school so we need to make sure our video is amazing. This competition is starting to get a lot of attention. Luckily, Carson and I have been able to fly under the radar but as soon as the videos are released there is nowhere to hide.

Carson and I simultaneously walk to the nearest table and he pulls out a notebook covered in music notes.

"You're such a girl," I say to Carson.

"Hey this is 2017, a man can carry a notebook with music notes on it, " Carson retorts. "Plus I've had this notebook forever, all of my greatest ideas are in here. So video..."

"We want to keep it simple. This is our first time presenting ourself to the public, we want them to feel," I answer. "What exactly do we want people to feel?"

"We've all had someone that we loved that we were afraid to tell. We want people to remember that feeling, " Carson says.

"Um...I know it's been a while since you got some action but that feeling is not that great," I reply.

"Ha ha ha, you're so funny," Carson replies with a strong amount of sarcasm. "But seriously that's the point. We want the people watching our video to feel that way."

"Why? That's just going to bring everybody down, I retort. "We want people to like our video, remember?"

"They will. Yes 'If You Only Knew' is technically a sad song but it's also a hopeful song. What if the person that you love loves you back?" Carson asks. "If only you were brave enough to tell them, maybe things would be different."