Chapter 5

"Hello and welcome to the second round of The Southern California Talent Search," Larry Brides, head of Platinum Studios says.

I turn towards Carson.

"I'm so excited I can't believe we made it this far," I say.

After Carson and I agreed to do the competition, everything started coming together. We raced home that night and worked on our best song "If Only You Knew." It's the first song we ever wrote together. I was writing about Bentley, of course, but many of the really good lyrics came from Carson. I'm not sure where he got his inspiration, though.

Our adrenaline was so high we were able to nail the song after only a couple of practices. The tricky part was figuring out how to film the video. We had no idea how we wanted to present ourselves for the first time. Eventually we decided to go for a The Civil Wars kind of look, with Carson with the guitar on a stool and I on a stool next to him. We didn't do anything fancy for the video. Our music is pretty raw and-

"Bella, come back to me," Carson interrupts my thoughts. "Did you even hear anything that Mr. Brides was saying?"

"Of course I did," I reply.

"Yeah, sure." Carson does not buy my lie for a second. "Well, while you've been thinking of whatever. I've been scoping out the competition."

For the first time I look around at the other finalists. Besides us there are 14 other groups. When I first find out there were only 15 finalists. I was so flattered.

"There really are only 15 groups here, Carson! Our band is actually good!" I whisper as I squeeze Carson's hand.

Carson pries my hand off and chuckles. "Well, I'm glad you think that. How awkward would it be to be in a band that you think sucks."

"Ha ha, I don't appreciate your attitude. Anyway so what did you find out about the other contestants?" I ask.

"Well," Carson says. I'm glad you asked."

Carson loves to pretend that he has the inside scoop. He's like a gossipy old women.

"It seems like five of the groups look like real competition. That group over there." Carson points at a band in the corner. I look over and see three guys and a girl whispering amongst themselves.

"I saw them walk in they have lots of fancy equipment and this isn't there first talent competition. They look like they know what they are doing," Carson says.

"What's their band name?" I ask.

"Central Station, they kind of lean towards the Paramore type of feel, if you know who that is. They are pretty good."

That's not Carson's voice, I think. Carson and I turn around at the same time and I come face to face with the most beautiful boy I have ever seen in my life.

"Hey I'm Eli Parker, solo artist. I don't mean to eavesdrop but I figured I would come over and introduce myself. I felt kind of dumb sitting by myself.

All I want to do is say words to beautiful Eli Parker but I have lost the ability and also my dignity. I'm sure he can feel me staring as I take him in. He's short, like 5'6" maybe but standing by Carson makes him look even shorter, but what Eli doesn't have in height he makes up in presence. His smile is gorgeous and his eyes are a warm brown that looks like chocolate and who doesn't love chocolate. Not to mention he is ripped, he looks like he is going to be the professional rugby player not a singer.

"Um hey I'm Carson and this is my mute best friend, Izzi, we are Forgetting Last Friday, Carson answers with a smirk.

"Is that short for Isabella?" Eli asks.

"Um...ahh..um," I sputter

"Blink once for yes," Carson replies.

Carson's sass finally gets me out of my stupor.

"Yes it is, " I answer.

"Why would you shorten it, that's beautiful. I'm going to call you Isabella, Eli says. As he says it he winks at me. I think I might throw up.

"Actually Bella hates Isa-"

"I've always loved being called Isabella, I interrupt.

"Well it was nice to meet you guys, I think I'm up to practice on the stage. I will see you later, Eli says as he walks away.

"I think I'm in love," I say as soon as he is out of earshot.

"Oh shut up, Bella," Carson responds. "You just met the guy. He could secretly be a vampire for all we know."

"Well, I hate to break it to you Carson but that story actually turned out pretty well, " I answer back with a giggle.

"You know what I mean, Carson says. "You don't know him."

"Yeah I guess you're right," I respond. But as we walk away to get ready for our practice time. I know something is different about Eli. He's the first person that's ever made me forget about Bentley, that's got to mean something.