Chapter 24 ~ Crying in a Boy's Arms

I didn't say a word - just fell into his arms sobbing. But he didn't question my actions either, just gathered me to his chest and pulled me further into the room, kicking the door closed with his foot.

"Shh...it's alright, it's alright..." Carl soothed me, hands going up and down my back soothingly as I cried into his gray long-sleeved night shirt.

Entangling himself from my embrace then, he led me over to the bed before taking me back into his arms. I sniffed as I buried my head in his chest, strands of his dark hair brushing my face. Carl didn't say anything, just held me until finally my tears of Rick's rejection subsided and I met his blue eye.

"What happened, Angel?" he asked me softly and I hiccuped, brushing the tears away with the back of my hand.

I shook my head, "Ah, it's nothing... I'm sorry I just barged in here like this..."

I began to get up from the bed then but he pulled back down to his chest, his hands resting gently on my arms.

"Don't be sorry. I don't mind..." he told me, warmth in his blue orb.

A strand of his shaggy hair had fallen over his eye though and without thinking, I reached up and brushed it back from his face. Realizing what I just did, I blushed scarlet and removed my hand. Sitting up, I mumbled an apology and he just chuckled. Silence ensued between us then and my mind swirled with thoughts of Rick. Why he had rejected me like that? What had I done wrong?

"I kissed Rick." I admitted suddenly, leaving the words hanging in the air like smoke.

I heard him suck in a breath and glancing over at his face, I noticed his eyebrows were arched in shock.

"Oh..." he breathed out, clasping his hands together as he leaned over his knees.

I pursed my lips then, "And...he rejected me..."

"Oh..." he repeated but this time I could hear a difference in his voice.

A sigh escaped my lips and I fell back onto the bed, my dark hair fanning out around me. My hands went to cover my eyes and I groaned.

"How could I have been so stupid?!" I complained, disappointed in myself.

Why did I kiss him back? I should have known better than to think a guy like him would like a girl like me... But as usual, I couldn't help myself and no matter what anyone thought, I did it anyway... I didn't regret though, no, no part of me regretted kissing him. I liked him and nothing mattered but that - not who he was, who I was, age, nothing. Carl lied down beside me, hands resting on his stomach as he stared up at the ceiling.

"I'm sorry, Angel..." Carl finally said, his voice soft in the silence that had ensued between us.

I shook my head, "Don't be. It was my stupid descision to-"

"Don't say that!" he cut me off suddenly and I glanced over at him, "You're not stupid. If dad rejected you...he had his reasons. And I know that doesn't help how you feel but-"

"Carl...please...I just...I don't wanna talk about it, okay? I just wanna forget about it...please..." I cut him off, ending the last word in a whisper.

He nodded, opening his mouth to speak again when he was cut off by the sound of something scraping against the wall. We both sat up instantly, him grabbing his gun from the nightstand. He walked over to the door and I followed closely behind him since I'd left my own gun downstairs. We made our way out the door and into the hallway only to be met by Jesus sitting on the stairs. Apparently, he'd escaped the room we'd put him in. I rolled my eyes at him, his back still turned to us and Carl came up behind him.

"What are you doing in our house?" Carl asked him gruffly, cocking the gun at the back of his head.

"I'm, uh, sitting on the steps looking at this painting, waiting for your mom and dad to get dressed," he said, glancing at us out of the corner of his eye.

I furrowed my eyebrows in confusion. Carl tilted his head to the side, also clearly confused.

"Wait, 'mom'? What are you talking about?" I asked him, standing behind Carl still.

He didn't answer my question, just glanced up at Carl briefly.

"Hi, I'm Jesus." he told him.

Suddenly, we heard footsteps racing towards us and my eyes widened in shock. There stood a shirtless Rick, Michonne behind him.

"Carl...Angel..." Rick spoke up from behind us, "Hey...um..."

I arched an eyebrow, my expression suddenly turning icy as I sized up the situation. So that's why he rejected me. He already had someone else picked out from the start. And that someone had never been me. I turned away from the sight of them, arms crossed over my swollen stomach in anger. More loud footsteps came again, this time tromping up the stairs and clicks of guns went off as Daryl, Glenn, Maggie, and Abraham came into sight.

"Are you alright?!" Daryl shouted over to me and I nodded, shooting him a small smile of reassurance and he visibly relaxed.

"It's-it's okay!" Michonne put a hand up.

Everyone lowered their guns slightly but still had their guard up.

"You said we should talk. So let's talk." Rick said to Jesus.