Chapter 23 ~ Could This Be Out of Line?

UPDATE: I've received a LOT of backlash regarding this chapter so I'll just say this - there are other love interests for Angel since this series started out as the story of Daryl's daughter. Initially, I never planned on her being with Carl but as I wrote, him and Angel drew closer together and their eventual love story became the entire focus. Even though there have been numerous people outraged with the turn of events, I still refuse to re-write these books because I like the way they turned out. I'm proud of this series and the hard work I put into them. However, I will not deal with rude comments and unhelpful criticism. There's no need for hate. If you don't like this chapter, this book or the series itself, I recommend finding another <3

Once we got back home, we put Jesus on one of the beds in a guest room. Hopefully, we'd have no more trouble from him. Walking into the living room, Rick flopped down onto the couch, slumping into the soft cushions with exhausted sighs. I bit back a laugh and made my way over to him as the radio played on in the background.

Kicking him with my foot not-so-gently, I urged him, "Move,"

Slowly, he sat up and made room for me on the couch. I sat down beside him and retrieved the baby monitor from the table. We gazed down at the tiny screen filled with Judith's little face as she moved around in the crib.

"She's practicing in her sleep," I told him and he chuckled.

Rick sighed, watching her for a minute before tugging off his boots.

"It's good to be home," he said as I sat the monitor back down on the side table.

"Yeah, you're telling me. Where's dad?" I asked him, the word still feeling foreign as it rolled off my tongue.

"Watching over Jesus till some other guy can take over," he replied before sighing, "Crazy day,"

"Wasn't it though?" I snorted, agreeing with him.

"I don't want to discuss it though. Not right now," he sighed again, "I just want to turn my brain off for a minute,"

"Same." I mumbled, the soft material of the cushion brushing against my cheek.

We sat in silence then, crickets chirping outside the only sound to be heard. I picked at a loose string on the couch absentmindedly.

"Oh," Rick said suddenly, breaking the silence, "Got you something,"

He dug around in his pocket for a second or two before finally pulling something out. He held it out a roll of mints to me and laughed. I laughed too and took it from his hand. Holding it up to the light, the shiny green and silver wrapper glinted, making the words easier to read. In big bold letters, it read 'Certs'.

"I used to eat these in church with my grandfather," I snickered, biting my lip as the memory came back to me.

"Did you?" Rick teased and I rolled my eyes playfully.

"Don't mock my memories, Grimes." I shot back and he laughed.

"Is this instead of the toothpaste?" I asked, glancing over at him.

He hummed in response and I laughed again.

"Well, I do have a crate of toothpaste for you. It's currently at the bottom of a lake." he told me, grinning.

I shook my head, giggling, "What a day,"

"Yeah, all on account of your dental hygiene. Have your mints." he joked, patting my hand playfully.

Just then, another song drifted out from the radio, filling the silence that ensued.

"Oh, no, this couldn't be more unexpected... And I can tell that I've been moving in so slow... Don't let it throw you off to far... 'Cause I'll be running right behind you..."

We fell into silence once more but it was a comfortable silence as his fingers slowly intertwined with mine. I glanced down at our interlocked hands and felt butterflies erupt in my stomach at the contact. My eyes snapped to Rick's and I found him already watching me, those sky-blue eyes boring into mine. As I gazed at him, I wondered what he was thinking - what he thought of me right now. Or anytime, really. I'd begun to have a closeness with him that I had never expected. And as those beautiful orbs looked into mine, with sudden clarity, I realized just what that closeness meant.

Ever so slowly, he leaned in close to me, his hand easing up to cup my cheek. I shuddered at his touch, his fingers warm as they ran over my skin. Then I felt the gentle press of his lips on mine. It was brief but perfect.

"Could this be out of line? Could this be out of line? To say you're the only one breaking me down like this..."

His forehead rested against mine after that and he leaned close again, kissing me once more. My hand reached out to touch the curls at the back of his neck as those plump pink lips glided over mine. His hands roamed over my back and down my side, leaving me trembling and craving more.

He deepened the kiss and I sighed into it, enjoying the feel of his soft mouth on mine. He tasted like strawberries and vanilla. My fingers caressed his face as his kisses became more fervent. Suddenly, he pulled away and gazed down into my eyes as I lied back on the couch. His face hovered inches from mine and I could see the question in his eyes. He was afraid I didn't want this - didn't want to kiss him.

 "You're the only one I would take a shot on, keep me hanging on..."  

But he was all that I could think about in that moment. I grabbed his face in my hands and pressed my lips to his hard, putting all of the pent-up feelings I'd had for him into the kiss. All I could feel, taste, touch was him. Tangling my fingers into his curly hair, he pulled me flush against him and I sighed again. The smell of his aftershave filled my nose and I breathed it in, imprinting this memory in my mind so I'd never forget it. I pressed my lips over and over again to his.

"So contagiously..."

His hands ran down the length of my bare arms to rest on my hips, leaving a trail of fire where he touched my skin. He deepened the kiss again, his lips wandering down my jaw to my neck and back up again to my lips. My heart raced in my chest and I felt butterflies swarming in my stomach. I kissed him back hard but suddenly, he broke away from me. My dark eyes flew open and I gazed up at him in confusion.

"Rick?" I asked hesitantly.

He let out a deep breath, panting from our kisses. Standing up from the couch, he moved away from me. It was only a few feet but it instantly felt like we were worlds away from each other.

"You need to go, Angel," he said, his voice so soft it was almost a whisper.

At those words, I could feel my heart breaking.

"What?" I asked in disbelief.

I got up from the couch then and walked over to him, resting a hand on his back but he flinched at my touch. Slowly, I removed my hand and let it fall to my side.

"Angel, this was a mistake. I...made a mistake..." he said and I could hear the despair in his voice.

What? What was he talking about? He...he kissed me.

"But-" I started, feeling tears prick my eyes.

"Just go, Angel!" he shouted, making me wince from his tone.

Teardrops ran down my cheeks and I nodded, biting my lip.

"Fine..." I whispered, heartbroken.

Rick sighed then as I ran to the stairs - away from him, away from everything. He ran his hands through his hair in exasperation.

"Angel, I'm sorry, I-" he started to say but it was too late, I'd already made my way up the stairs.

I started to go to my room but stopped myself. I didn't want to be alone again tonight. And...and I didn't need to be left alone with these thoughts racing through my head. Flicking my eyes to the door across from me, I walked over to it and pounded on the wood.

"Please...please let me in..." I cried, sniffing as the hot tears poured down my cheeks.

The door opened suddenly, revealing the occupant of the room.

Note: Song used in this chapter was So Contagious by Acceptance if y'all wanna check it out ;)