Chapter 3 ~ Party Girl

I huffed as I straightened out my short bright blue dress in the mirror. I always hated wearing dresses, ever since I was a kid. Let's just say the apocalypse hadn't changed that at all. But for this special occasion, I had to. Michonne had been insistent I get a welcoming party like they had received when they'd first arrived here. I didn't really want that, of course. A party just for me wasn't really my idea of fun.

I spun around once more in the mirror before letting out another sigh. Well, this was as good as it was gonna get. Pulling on my dress once more as I went, I walked down the stairs and out the front door. The others had already left a while ago to set up. Cool night air hit my face as I stepped outside and I breathed it in. I still wasn't used to this life - not having to look over my shoulder for walkers or worry where my next meal would be coming from.

Life seemed like a dream here. My strappy black heels clicked loudly in the night air as I headed towards the lit-up house in the middle of the small town. People loitered outside, alcoholic drinks in hand but I avoided them and skipped up the stairs to the front porch. Knocking lightly, I waited there in the coolness. Someone coughed behind me and I turned my head, my eyes meeting the brown ones of a stranger. He smirked down at me and I felt my skin crawl.

"Hi, I'm Spencer Monroe and you are?" he flirted with me.

"Not your type," I shot back, smelling the alcohol on his breath.

He leaned in closer to me but I pushed him back hard with my hand. Owen just died and I wasn't ready for a relationship yet. Especially not with a drunk like this.

"But how do you know you're not my type? You've never met me before," he smiled in a cocky way and I rolled my eyes.

"Believe me, I didn't need to," I scoffed, turning back to face the door.

He put a hand on my shoulder then and I tried to shrug him off.

"Would you just let go of me?!" I said angrily just as the door swung open.

Light poured out onto the darkened porch and I looked up to see a dark-haired Hispanic girl standing in the doorway. She sighed and rolled her eyes.

"Let go of her, Spencer. She's not fresh meat for you." the girl told him haughtily.

Reluctantly, he released me. But not before shooting a glare towards the girl and stalking off. I shot her a small smile and she returned the gesture, stepping to the side to let me in.

"Thanks for that," I said, brushing past her.

"No problem, Wolf Girl." she replied before closing the door behind me.

"It's Angel, actually," I said, glancing over at her.

She nodded, a slight smile on her face.

"Rosita." she told me, walking off to join the others.

I took in my surroundings. The house was nice - beautiful, even. Expensive furniture lined the walls and people milled about, talking to each other. The place was abuzz with the sound of chatter. Knots formed in my stomach at that moment. A few people I recognized - Michonne, Morgan, Denise, Daryl, Father Gabriel - but for the most part, they were strangers.

Other members of the community I'd yet to meet. And I still wasn't sure if that was on purpose or not. These people were wary of me, still thinking that I would murder them in their sleep because of my association with the Wolves. Not to mention the fact that I was carrying a baby Wolf in my tummy. No wonder they were scared. I made my way through the crowd and out of the corner of my eye, I thought I saw some of them shrink away.

Weaving my way through them, I finally made it to the kitchen. I breathed out a sigh of relief as I leaned on the counter, my fingers resting on the cool small white tiles. Finally, I was alone! Lifting up my head, I saw my reflection in the glass-pane window above the sink. My wavy brown hair had fallen in my face and dark circles lined my eyes. I almost snorted.

If I'd seen what they had, I'd be scared too. I looked drained. My fingers found their way to Owen's necklace around my neck, the smoothness against my skin. Too many sleepless nights, I suppose. Suddenly, someone cleared their throat from behind me and I spun around.