Chapter 6 ~ Supply Run

My foot pushed back and forth across the wooden floorboards of the porch as I leaned back into the swing. Hands resting on my still-flat stomach, I watched the townspeople walk by. I liked it here, don't get me wrong, but I craved the adventure that used to be in my life. Owen and I had been on the run all the time, sure but...but it was better than this sitting around doing nothing all the time. I felt like I had purpose when I was out fighting the walkers. But when I was here, I just felt...so useless.

I closed my eyes as another Georgia breeze blew through my hair, ruffling the edges of my faded Pokemon t-shirt. Life was way too simple like this. I needed to be moving, to be doing something. Just then, I heard the crunch of shoes on the road and my eyes flew open. Sitting up in the swing, I saw Rick, Daryl, and Sasha making their way down the street. They held guns in their hands and backpacks on their back except for Daryl who just carried his crossbow across his back.

They must be going on a supply run. The chains that held up the swing squeaked as I got up and walked down the steps to them. Rick turned just as I did. Shooting me a quick smile, he spoke.

"Morning, Angel," he said as the others just nodded in greeting.

"Are you guys going on a supply run?" I asked, brushing a strand of hair from my face.

Rick nodded, "We needed some more baby formula for Judith so Daryl and Sasha said they'd come with. Is there anything you need before we head out?"

My eyebrows arched slightly at the offer. I was a bit surprised he'd asked. I thought they only did that for people they knew well. Still, it sent warm feelings through me that he thought to ask. Answering his question, I nodded.

"Yeah, actually. Can I come with you guys?" I asked, shoving my hands in my pockets absentmindedly.

Rick and Daryl exchanged glances.

"I, uh...I don't really think you should be going out there...in your condition..." Rick trailed off.

I crossed my arms over my chest in agitation and rolled my eyes.

"Just 'cause I'm pregnant doesn't mean I can't take care of myself," I said hotly.

Rick didn't look convinced.

"What if you get bit? Then what happens to that baby?" he asked, gesturing to my stomach.

Instinstively, one of my hands rested on my abdomen and my heart clenched at the insinuation. But I shrugged at him.

"I haven't gotten bit before now. Just 'cause I'm carrying a child doesn't make a difference. I'm still as quick on my feet and good with a gun," I retorted, arching an eyebrow defiantly.

I saw Rick's jaw clench and his icy-blue eyes were intense as they stared me down. After several seconds of debating in his head, finally, he sighed.

"Fine, you can come," he relented before pointing a finger at me, "But if you start to feel like you're in danger or you get too tired, you back out and one of us will take you back."

I nodded, albeit reluctantly and Rick unclipped an extra handgun from his holster before handing it to me. I took it from him, his hand brushing against mine as I did. A slight shock of electricity seemed to jolt up my arm but I shrugged it off. Must have just been from the metal touching my skin. I followed after Rick and the others as we made our way to the gate. Spencer was there off to the side, ready to open it for us.

He glanced over at me briefly but I looked away. That guy still creeped me out. Even if he wasn't drunk anymore. The gate squeaked as it slowly opened and we walked out, the fresh air hitting me in the face. I breathed it in gratefully, choosing to ignore the Del Arno Foods truck that still sat right outside the gate. For the first time since arriving here with Owen, I was back on the outside.