33. Daniel Proposes to Joey

The Interview 

Petar and Daniel met for the first time the next day morning. Daniel walked in dressed very neatly in formals. His hair was combed neatly. He held a file in his hand. He knocked, asked permission to enter and waited till Petar told him to take a seat.

Petar thought his activities were a stark contrast to the long-haired boy in front of the car and the boy running around in a simple t-shirt in the production house.

Daniel started introducing himself after a firm handshake with Petar. He was very polite and quite assertive at the same time. "I am Mr. Daniel Preda. Mr. Graceffa offered to set up a meeting with you. Thank you for your time Mr. Petar Brocadi."

The way Daniel came, sat and talked everything represented a very well groomed man. He got Petar completely at the thank you. Petar simply conducted the interview that day because he felt like talking to Daniel.

Daniel started introducing himself.

"I did my schooling at the Milton Academy, Massachusetts. Then I did my management degree in Harvard. Unfortunately, I won't be able to produce any of my certificates. I believe an experienced professional like you will value talent and experience more than academics."

Petar controlled his smile. He did not believe Daniel went to Harvard or Milton. He knew he was working in a surf shop. He might be a high school dropout after all.

"Tell me more about yourself, Daniel. What are your parents doing? How many siblings you have?"

"My parents died when I was fourteen in a flight crash. We lived in Toronto, Canada till then. I had two brothers. Anton and Chris. Anton and his family also demised in the accident. Chris works in Boston. I moved with him to the US during high school."

Perfect. No parents. Did not give any details about where his brother works.

"I am sorry to hear that. I suppose it is going to be a hard job doing a background check on you Mr. Preda."

"Not really. I have attached my Green card details, my residential address and two references from the current firm I am working in. I moved here only before six months. I lived in Boston before that. Completed the degree in the last batch, just before six months. My college and school will have all my details."

"Do you at least have a Bonafide from Milton or Harvard?"

"No. I was not able to get one," Daniel opened his file and showed Petar some screen shots taken from websites. They were listings of Daniel winning various swimming competitions and Olympiads. Daniel also showed the original websites the screen shots were taken from in his mobile.

Newspapers featuring the same news were also attached. The articles written clearly stated the team from Milton and Harvard won it with Daniels name along with the crew members. He had selected articles which had group photos showing him.

Petar was amazed. The boy does not have a certificate. But, had tried in every possible way to prove what he was saying is genuine.

"You have a very photogenic face, Daniel. Mr. Graceffa is a very intuitive man. He always selects the best."

An innocent smile appeared on Daniel's face. "Thank you, Mr. Bracodi. I will try my best to prove I am good."

"Not so soon," Petar laughed. Daniel had interpreted he was the best. "You are a clever kid. Tell me what you know about management." Petar drilled Daniel into spitting everything he had learned that day. 

Petar still did not know whether Daniel went to college or not. But, he was very sure he possessed all the knowledge a management graduate needed. Daniel knew about all the key management concepts, strategies, who wrote it and how it should be applied to handle various business situations. He knew facts, was good in handling figures. By, the end of a one-hour session Petar was as smitten with Daniel as Joey was.