Chapter 18

Annika's POV

When I wake, blue and red lights are all I can see.

"Mrs.Hotchkins?" I ask wearily, my head to heavy to lift off of the throw pillow.

She was nowhere to be seen, and neither was Kyle.

Nervously I stand, it taking several moments for my legs to support my weight.

By the time I get up the lights had intensified and began to give me a headache. Either it was the lights or the welt on my head, I couldn't tell.

I shuffle my way over to the window and pull the curtain aside.

My breath was caught in my throat. Cop cars were filed up and down the road, more than I could count on both hands. Mrs.Hotchkins was standing protectively in front of her porch,  yelling at a group of policeman standing not two feet I'm front of her. Most of them had their guns out pointed at her, but some were just staring at her stupidly.

I couldn't make out what she was saying but I was curious, so as quietly as possible I cracked open the window, pressing an ear to the screen.

"Ma'am step away from the door."

She scoffs. "I do not see a warrant anywhere. No one is coming into my house. I have every right to bring you to court for being on my lawn."

"Honey we are the court, now step away before I have to use force." The uniformed man closest to her announces.

"For what? Why are you trying to get in my house."

"There is evidence leading you to kidnapping. Around 6:00 this morning a girl was found missing and was last seen with your son."

She doesn't scoff this time but doesn't express any emotion either. "My son was home asleep this morning. I didn't wake him up until seven this morning."

I watch the cops turn and take turns looking at each other. Some more of them set their guns down while others step even closer.

"Ma'am move out of the way."

By now she had backed up against the door and I knew it wouldn't be long before they were inside of he house.

So I did the only think I could think of.

I ran.

I moved away from the window and ran up her stairs. I flung all of the doors open until I found her room. I rushed over to her dresser, remembering when Kyle and I were dating he said she kept money in the top left drawer.

Sure enough when I opened it there was a stack of fifties laying right there on top of the socks.

My hand wrapped around the money before I could tell myself no, and quickly jotted down an IOU leaving it on the top if the desk.

My head flung to opened bedroom door as I heard the front one slam open.

"Sh*t." I hiss and quickly look around the room.

"The window." I mutter to myself and dash towards it.

I open it and get most of the way onto the roof before I realized there's no way down. I hear the footsteps on the stairs and panic even more.

Without thinking I step out onto the roof and shim the window closed. I step across the back portion of the roof as quietly as possible, my brain trying to conjure a way to get down.

I see a police officer pass a window I was in front of and press myself against the wall next to it, my heart racing. I hold my breath and when I finally hear him pass I feel as if I was about to faint.

Just that moment a thought comes to me.

The trees. I have to get to the trees.

I look around and find one just at the front left corner of the house. I groan heavily but make my way cautiously towards it.

When I get towards the front of the house I look and see only a few policemen left standing at the entrance. I know its not good odds but my instincts tell me otherwise.

As fast as I can, I jump from the roof to the tree and scramble down the trunk.

I knew the noise attracted one of the men halfway down the tree because they had began walking towards it.

I swear under my breath and run, going as fast as I could towards the school, my legs burning with the effort.

The footsteps faded away and part of me knew they were going to track me down via car. My body was quickly wearing out but I wasn't ready to give up.

I wasn't ready to go back to the house of strangers I called family.

So I kept running and threw my full weight forward, launching myself to the closest sewer grate.

With all my strength I lifted the grate high enough to slip through and descended down the stairs. My feet touched down to the murky waters quicker than I thought they would.

My head spins and my body becomes just as heavy as it was when I had woken so I sit on the small ledge there was and sooner than I could realize, I was drifting off to sleep.

*****
Guys my heart is throbbing for her.

Whats going to happen??
Does she even know the truth?
Can she trust anyone?
Lots of love
Late.