Chapter Six

I roll my eyes at my mom. Apparently she had to open her big mouth, and tell my dad that I had an episode earlier. Honestly it didn't seem like he was the slightest interested, but since my mom made it such s big to do, he played the part.

They both sat there staring at me. My mom however seemed lost in her thoughts. As if she was thinking over which looney bin i needed to be sent to. My dad has one of his signature 'I'm doing this for your mother, give me a break' looks on his face. So I clear my throat and speak.

"You know, maybe if you guys cared enough to notice me, maybe I wouldn't do this crazy bullshįt  for you guys to see me."

I give them both a nasty glare, and the finger. Before I lose my balls I walk out of their room and slam the door behind me. I run to my own room and softly close my door, so I don't knock any of my pictures down.

I slowly pass each one, each a picture of me from every year. I go down the line of them until I come to the end, stopping at the age of four. I smile at it, trying to remember being so little, but I couldn't. I can't remember anything past a year or two ago.

The sound of the car starting startles me out of my thoughts. Looking out of my window, I see my parents car pulling out of the driveway. Quickly I throw my window open and stick my head out.

"Fück you!" I scream.

They obviously don't hear me, but I don't care. I mean it's the thought that counts anyways right?

Going through the house, I check to make sure they didn't leave Matthew with me. Right before I head back into my room I make sure the front and back doors were locked, and then make my way up the stairs.

I climb out of the window, and hop onto the roof. I hop off onto the next landing, and then tumble into the ground.

"That could've been more graceful." I whisper to myself.

On this side of the house, my parents kept the grass overgrown. Little burs sat hidden in weeds disguised as grass, so when I fell I got a handful of them.

I look up at the night sky as I walk through the yard and across the street. The stars shine bright, reminding me of a time I went camping.

****

"Mister? Are we there yet?"

"No, not yet. Why do you ask princess?"

"I've been in the car all day long. I need to get out and stretch my legs" Twelve year-old me snaps.

He glances at me, but keeps his eyes on the road. I wasn't afraid at all anymore. It's been five years since I first met him, and he treated me like a true princess still. So I let him stay.

My parents had left to go visit my aunt, taking my baby brother with them. They told me to hold the fort down, that I was old enough to stay home overnight by myself. They didn't really get it that I didn't like being alone so much. They were always gone, always doing something. Always going somewhere, and it was always without me. So that's why I didn't think twice about going to misters cabin when he offered.

"Annika, honey, what's on your mind?"

I snap back to reality and realized my anger and sadness was written all over my face. I try to draw my eyebrows apart, but soon lost the point. He'd already seen my thoughts.

"It's not fair mister. It really isn't. Even before the baby, they didn't love me."

I look out the car window, watching the scenery speed by. Tears spill from my eyes and I feel his hand rub my shoulder for comfort. Not to soon after I fall asleep, wishing I had a better family.