Chapter Eleven: First Kiss

1 Year Ago

"How is that pronounced?" I ask. My voice sharp enough to indicate I'm not really asking.

"Duh-Clan-See. Duclancy Dutch." Kelly's voice is strong and clear. I give her a once over. She'd only been my assistant a month, but I was always surprised she wasn't airheaded. Not because she's blonde, because she had to go through quite a few idiots before making it to a level near mine.

"How long has he been acting?" My eyes stay on hers steadily. Later I would realize it was something my mother did to intimidate others.

"Successfully? 1 year and a half." Her eyes go down to her clipboard. Her shoulders are hunched and she hugs the thing close to her. Very scared and anxious. Of me.

"And Unsuccessfully?" I keep my face blank, not finding it in me to care that she is reacting to me like the servants-

No.

The employees of my mother act towards her.

"4 and a half years." She keeps her eyes on the clipboard.

I wave a hand in a half assed shoo motion. I rub my fingers on my temples. Hearing the door click. The trailer is bigger than some I've been in. But the book had gotten a lot of money. Having the Author as a producer gave us a bigger budget.

I don't think.

I just breathe. In. Out.

I don't want to think of that woman, or of my father, or of my new assistants fear.

So I don't. I practice my lines. I had a scene with Duclancy Dutch in 10 minutes. He was playing the part of Cody's best friends.

I stand and walk out of the trailer. One foot in front of the other.

"Jasmine! Please sign-"

"Jasmine!"

"I love-"

I pass the crowd of onlookers and enter the door to Set #3. It's my favorite. Mostly because it's the only one that doesn't smell like tuna.

"Jasmine!" The director calls. He's a heavy set man. Short and balding. But a set of eyes for film like no other. What was his name- Oh, nevermind. I don't care.

"I'm here." I tell him stonily. Walking right past him to hair and makeup. He follows and yaps about different elements we have to add for the movie.

"You'll need to bite your lip-" He reasons that 50 shades made the move big. Then as one of the makeup artists moisturizes my face roughly, he goes on about me trying to appear as tall as possible.

"Got it. Just go. I have to change."

And he goes.

After changing, I finish up with hair and makeup. Finding my place to the stage area. A tall handsome man stands there. His hair is dark brown, his eyes hazel green. I assess him half heartedly. He's attractive. Definitely not enough to be looking that arrogant on stage. I find my place on stage, stepping on the tape outline of feet.

He watches me with his adam's apple bobbing as he swallows. I don't spare him another glance. Finding a crowd surrounding me as the crew gathers onto the stage. There is a cart that moves as I walk and gives all those in editing a shot of my ass.

Declancy Dutch finds himself alone and after looking around for a moment, he realizes the scene is starting.

"Action!"

I step forward. My face set in a scowl. I murmur out grumbles about a Vince. My hips sway and my thumbs hook into my belt loops. My assemble is gothic chic. My jeans dark blue, my tank top black, and my two long sleeve over shirts are two different shades of purple.