Prologue [Under EXTREME revision]

Prologue

               When I was a little girl, all I ever wanted to do was sing. Singing, to me, was like second nature. It was like a second language to me, the way the notes and syllables and sounds rolled off my tongue. Music moved me, and being able to produce such amazing sound made me feel invincible. I was the envy of all of my friends, even Amy Davis, my best friend, who had always feared living in my shadow.

             I really felt bad for Amy. She was so sweet, but she was shy, so people didn't give her a chance to show them who she could be. People saw me instead. People wanted to be me back then. I was popular.

               My parents were so proud. They used to tell me I could do anything, and I believed them. Their support, combined with the social stability and respect of my peers convinced me to take my talents to a new level. I tried out for the Christmas talent show when I was in the seventh grade and I made it, but when it came to the performance, it all went downhill. Everything. My social life and my self respect. In spite of my obvious talent, I had stage fright. When I got on stage to perform, the song began to play in the background, and I opened my lips, but couldn't make a sound. I just stood there, my peers staring at me and laughing. Amy was laughing too. Amy, my best friend.

               My father died that same month and from that day forward, I wasn't the same. I had no friends and only my mom as my family, but then again, she was just as out of sorts as I was.The horror of my seventh grade failure has caused me to become a more insecure girl, as I vowed I would never stand out again as long as I lived.