Taehyung: Best Friend

Disclaimer:
If it's in italics, it's a flashback.

____

I let my legs dangle off of the large colorful play tower that Taehyung and I had claimed as ours many years prior. This Park had been our hang out spot for as long as both of us could remember. Even though we were both legal adults, we liked the childish feeling that came with being at the playground. But this time, there was no childish wonder-like feeling.

I had just broken up with my boyfriend of almost four months and was waiting on Taehyung to get over to the park with some hot cocoa. Whenever either of us we're sad, we would always drink it with extra marshmallows and vent about our feelings and hardships to each other. Although our friendship was rather fluffy and playful, we did have moments like these where we would just have to be serious for a while.

The crunching of the solid wood chips from behind me did make my heart race a little, considering that it was nearly 11:30pm and I was alone in the dark park with nothing but my phone and a candy wrapper. But my worries were put at ease when I felt someone warm slip beside me, holding out a hot drink.

I took it out of his hands and took no time to sip out some of the substance in the bright  red mug.

"You good, Y/N?" Taehyung asked, rubbing my back gently.

I basically melted into his soft, caring touch.

I always thought that we were just best friends, until I realized; I loved him.

I had always loved him. And not in the sibling  type way that he loved me. I truly loved him from the bottom of my heart and wanted nothing more than to be with him. I dated a few people over the years because I wanted to get over him, but no one seemed to be as good as him because there was only one real him.

But instead of saying all that, I shrugged my shoulders and adjusted his dark hoodie that I 'borrowed' years ago around my shoulders.

"You don't want to talk about it?"

I shook my head 'no' and set my mug down on the plastic, worn down rubber coated surface of the connecting part of the public play set before scooting closer to my best friend.

He quickly realized that I just needed a cuddle and followed my actions by setting his dark blue cup down and wrapped both his strong arms around me, pulling me securely into his chest.

I heard his soft heartbeat and every other noise around us seemed to fade away into the warm embrace. I felt all of my earlier stress leave my body and soon I felt safe. Safer than ever.

"Y/N..." Taehyung trailed, pulling away from me just enough so that he could see my face. "You're crying."

My hands quickly went up to my face, and indeed, it was dampened. I looked to his once dry, clean white shirt and there were two wet spots on it.

"I'm so sorry." I sniffled, wiping the tears that had flown from my eyes.

"Don't worry, Y/N. it's just a dumb shirt. What I'm really worried about is you.." Taehyung bittersweetly smiled at me.

I nodded again and we were soon back cuddling like before.

My tears had stopped, and the two of us stayed silent and looked in front of us at the starlit park. There was an old public space for playing baseball, fully equipped with two rows of bleachers on the opposite sides of the large chain walls. I smiled lightly, remembering the times when Taehyung used to play baseball and would get injured and I helped him by carrying band aids around in my pockets.

"Y/N," Taehyung said while approaching the bleachers on my side. The game was on a five minute break because of a boy having an asthma attack and also because the other teenage boys got thirsty.

"What's wrong?" I asked, knitting my eyebrows together.

He held out his wrist and put it through a big hole in the chainlink fence.

On his arm was a scratch that could have been caused by the sandy substance that made up the ground of the small outdoor arena.

"Will you put a bandaid on it?" He asked. "One of those cool holographic ones too!"

I giggled. "And waste one of my cool bandaids on such a nerd like you? I'll pass."

"Y/N.." he whined.

I rolled my eyes playfully and took one of the two bandaids I carried constantly with me, out of my pocket and began peeling the paper off the back.

"Whoa whoa whoa!" He stopped me.

I blinked at him in confusion, stopping my actions. "What?"

"Kiss it first." He ordered with a smirk.

"Hell no!"

"Pleeaase?"

"Kim! Get back over here and stop talking to your girlfriend." The coach yelled over at him.

A visible light pink blush appeared across the boy's sun kissed cheeks and across the bridge of his nose.

'Loud 'Ooh-ing' erupted from the rest of his team.

He looked up to me with his brown puppy eyes. He knew that they were my weakness.

"Please? I have to go back soon." He begged.

I kissed my teeth because of what I was doing, but I ended up bending my head down and lightly kissing the scratches on his soft skin and placing the holographic bandaid on his arm.

He smiled extremely bright for the rest of the game.

"Y/N," Taehyung lightly shook my shoulder. "You've been staring out there for like five minutes. Are you sure that you're okay?"

And for the first time tonight, I actually looked at him.

His soft brown hair fell around his deep coffee colored eyes in the most breathtakingly beautiful way. And his pink heart-shaped lips made me want to either scream in frustration because I couldn't kiss them, or kiss them forever. He licked his lips when he saw that I was looking at them, so I pulled my eyes away from them and looked back to his gorgeous sparkling eyes, which weren't making it any easier to contain my impulses.

I cracked a tiny smile at the boy who had been my best friend ever since the fifth grade. He smiled his perfect rectangular smile back at me when he saw mine.

Sitting there, wrapped in his arms and smiling like idiots, made everything feel okay.

"I think I will be." I answered him after a long time.

"Yeah?" He asked.

"Yeah." I smiled and we laced our fingers together.

Even if we would remain just friends, I was okay with that.