Chapter Twelve

Author's Note: Sorry if there are any mistakes idk it's not edited

* * *

CHAPTER TWELVE

“STOP!”

At my command, the car violently screeches to a halt. I hurriedly peel the case off my phone and take out a crumpled five dollar bill I’ve always kept there for emergency reasons and hand it to the driver.

“Keep the change,” I say but sound incoherent even to myself. My hands are shaking so much that they’re fumbling when I unbuckle my seatbelt, open the door and throw my body out of the vehicle.

There’s still time left. I’m sure only it’s only been a few minutes. Maybe Blake is still there, smiling, standing on the same spot where I had left him, waiting for me to come back.

I have to find Blake. I just have to.

Even in high heels and dress, I fast-walk towards the opposite direction of the airport. My legs burn and it’s freezing cold and I can already predict a painful cramp coming, but that doesn’t hold me back from slipping off my heels, holding them in one hand and running barefoot, ignoring the sharp stabs of uneven cracks and dirt sticking on the sole of my foot.

It feels like heaven when I finally arrive to where I was just standing a few minutes ago. A slender dark figure stands alone on the exact same spot where I had left Blake, a hand extended out onto the road. I would’ve had ran towards him and wrap my arms him for all I care.

Except he’s not Blake.

“I think you’ve got the wrong person,” he tells me, brows furrowed and eyes narrowed suspiciously. He rudely brushes my hand off his arm, sharply turns and walks away, together with the last bit of hope I have left.

He couldn’t have gotten too far, since it’s only been, like, five minutes or less, right? That is, if he had walked. He had money and having money means having the ability to pay for taxi ride straight to the hotel or renting another vehicle.

Something clicks at the back of my mind and I resist the urge to facepalm myself.

Phone.

I saved Blake’s number on my phone and I could just call him right now, tell him to go back here and take me back to the hotel because I’m a complete idiot to leave my passport in my hotel room.

But the problem is the phone is not in my hand.

I pat my thighs for pockets and remember I’m in a dress. Anxiety kicks in and I shut my eyes. The last time I had seen my phone was just a few minutes ago, when I had peeled off the case and pay the -

I turn around. There’s a whole line of identical taxis on the road to the airport.

I’ve left it at the backseat at the taxi. The next passenger of that taxi could have taken my phone by now, or maybe the driver had already kept it for himself. Either way I don’t even know the plate number, and if I search in every taxi, I’m never going to finish even if I start now.

Adrenaline wears off as realization kicks in.

I’m lost.

* * *

It’s getting colder and colder as time passes. It’s amazing yet frightening how fast the weather could change in a span of few minutes. In the back of my mind, I miss Blake’s jacket around my shoulders, giving me the warmth that I need right now.