Chapter Eight

CHAPTER EIGHT

The next few weeks passed like a blur. My old phone is still with me. I havenât told Emily about it, not do I have plans to. Iâve actually tried to turn it on already, but itâs locked. Itâs a four-number code.

Iâve tried everythingâfrom my birthday to random combinations and even Blakeâs birthday (after researching it thoroughly in the internet), but nothing seems to work. Iâve considered asking Emily since she was my best friend and probably knew my password, but I decided against it anyway. After trying for what seems like a million times, Iâve finally given up and thought that itâd probably come to me naturally sooner or later. Or maybe even never.

The coffee-incident was the last time I had a real interaction with Blake, although I often see him around the building. Most of the time itâs in the hallways or the elevators or even in the lunch room. I would always see him pass by, either heâs on his phone or some business guy talking to him, so I never really get the chance to talk to him.

I want to ask himâreally ask himâif I have never seen him before, but I havenât conjured up the courage to. Maybe itâs because Iâm afraid heâd think of me as a crazy woman or a stalker. Or both. I was even tempted to go to his office myself and ask him face-to-face, but the idea itself just sounds so stupid to me.

I think itâs just me or my crazy imagination, but I always see him looking at me whenever Iâm looking at him. Itâs weird. He doesnât even try to look away. But I was probably imagining it. He was probably staring at my co-worker, Stella. She has an hourglass figure and long silky curls that make every woman in the building envy her. People generally like her laid-back attitude. We eat lunch together sometimes, too.

She and Blake wouldâve made a cute couple. But Iâm know Iâm lying if I told myself that Iâm not jealous of her and the way people adore her.

Everything is getting better slowly. Iâve gotten new friends, got invited to a few parties here and there, and tomorrow, Iâd have my first business trip with Calvin and a few of my co-workers including Stella.

Even though I havenât recovered from my amnesia, my new life is finally good-and to be honest, maybe itâs even better than before.

* * *

When the sleek silver car with tinted windows pulls up in front of me, I think I just stood there for a whole minute just to gape at it. When I asked for a ride to the airport from Calvin yesterday, I certainly didnât expect this. I originally thought he has those pickup trucks with chipped paint and seats with holes on it.

This? This was far from what I imagined. It looks like it came out of a car show. I donât know much about cars, but I know this car is expensive just by looking at it.

Calvin exits the car and grins at me. He silently takes my luggage and fits it in his trunk cheerfully. Why is he such a morning person? The sun hasnât even risen up yet. Still mesmerized from the car, I dazedly climb in the passengerâs seat while Calvin hops in the driverâs seat. I can hear the soft purr of the car from here. I run my fingers across the leather seats and smile in admiration. âNice car,â I mumble as I buckle on my seatbelt.

He steps on the gas, and the car lurches forward smoothly, the sound of the purr increasing. âThanks,â he says and shrugs like itâs nothing. We still have one hour before the flight, and the drive there is only half an hour, so we have lots of time left. He glances at the through the mirror and sees me smiling. âExcited?â

âOf course! Itâs my first time on a business trip,â I say. Through the rearview mirror, I suddenly spot a small blue bag on the backseat. âUmâ€Â¦ are those the only things you will bring?”