Chapter Four

CHAPTER FOUR

His knuckles are white from gripping the steering wheel too tightly, and his shoulders are visibly tensed. When his eyes drift to me and then returns to the road again, my heart stops for a split second.

I can’t help myself from giggling.

His head snaps to the side as his lips tilts up to a small smile, an adorable dimple appearing. “What’s so funny?”

“You,” I reply without hesitation, grinning.

Leaning towards him with my seat belt strapped on, I raise a hand and poke his dimple. He looks surprised for a moment, and I feel his face heat up under my touch, his ears turning to an apple-red color.

The car behind us honks impatiently, and in surprise, he jerkily steps on the gas then immediately releases it. The car lurches forward for a split second, and then stops again.

Without even checking is he’s okay, his head snaps to me, and I see his eyes filled with concern. “Sorry. You okay?” he asks, pressing on the gas gently.

I nod my head, leaning back on my seat and resting my head on the headrest. Raising an eyebrow, I ask, “Jeez, what’s eating you?”

His boyish smile returns. “Just nervous.”

“Nervous my ass,” I reply, rolling my eyes and snorting an unladylike snort. “Yeah right. If anything, I should be the one nervous right now.” I swipe the sweat off my forehead and almost grimace.

“I’m sweating like a whore in church,” I mumble, turning up the air conditioning.

Minutes pass, and all I can do is to stare out of the window, watching the blurry buildings and green and brown trees pass by. The sun dips over the horizon and turns to a shade of an egg yolk.

“We’re here,” he announces, and the car suddenly halts to a stop.

“Excuse me,” a distant voice calls, slowly changing into a different dream. “Excuse me, miss. We’re here.”

My eyes blink open, and a lone tear slips out of my blurry eyes. Confused, I wipe the dry tears off my cheeks. The middle-aged man looks at me warily, and I'm just as confused as he is.

Slowly, realization dawns on me.

I can’t believe I slept in a taxi. Alone. Who knows what could have happened?

I grimace when I see myself in the rearview mirror. I look like I’ve been sweating and crying and thrashing around. My hair is all disheveled and it resembles a bird’s nest.

I feel a little hollow inside — like the feeling after getting your hopes up, only to be disappointed.

I shake of the thought. I don’t even remember falling asleep!

Asleep . . . the dream! I squeeze my eyes shut as my head throbs painfully. Dream.

What the hell did I dream of? I don’t even notice it slowly slipping out of my mind, and by now I remember almost nothing. It’s frustrating me.

I glance up and remember I’m still in the cab, my new desk and my shiny nameplate waiting for me.

I dig out a five dollar bill from my wallet and toss it to the driver. “Keep the change,” I mumble, still dreary-eyed, thankful he hasn’t done anything, and step out of the cab.

* * *

“Haley . . . Is that you?” a voice asks from behind, and I turn to see a vaguely familiar man standing right in front of me. He’s dressed handsomely in a suit and tie.