Chapter Six

CHAPTER SIX

“What? You’re done already?” Calvin asks, looking surprised as I hand him the Manila folder filled with alphabetically-ordered papers. I nod my head once. Is finishing early a bad thing?

“Yeah. I didn’t have anything else to do anyway,” I reply, shrugging my shoulders. My eyes wander to the clock hanging above Calvin. Another half an hour left until my lunch break. “Anything else I need to do?”

“Uh, yeah. I have,” he tells me, making me slightly regret I had asked. He shuffles the messy stacks of papers scattered on his table and hands me another folder identical to every other folder in this building. How the hell do they organize these if they all look the same?

I bite my tongue. “What do I have to do?”

“Just give this to Mr. Dawson’s secretary, and you could go have your lunch break,” he instructs, and I nod my head again, slightly dreading the fact of meeting her – Blake irritating secretary, Rebekah – again. I certainly don’t want to see her again, but I know I have to. For my job.

I ride the elevator to the top most floor again, feeling a weird sense of Déjà vu. When the metal doors slide open, I see that the hallway is quiet, and it’s pretty dark. Jeez, can’t they afford more light bulbs? I thought this company was supposed to be loaded or something.

I knock and enter the room. I’m relieved to see that Rebekah is missing from her chair and is nowhere to be found. I walk towards the door leading to Blake’s office when I freeze, a disconcerting thought popping into my mind.

What if they are . . . no, that’s impossible, right? I have read a lot of CEO-Secretary books before, but that’s only in books. It’s called fiction for a reason. Does it really happen in real life? Oh God. I almost want to grimace at the thought. Without thinking, I press my ear against the door. Thankfully, the door is thin and only made out of plastic, so I can easily hear what they are saying.

I hear a few muffled sounds, like the two of them talking. I can’t understand what they are saying, though.

I guess it’s not my conversation to eavesdrop. I’m about to step away when I hear something hitting on the floor and a girlish giggle . . . Rebekah’s giggle. I feel my heart slightly sinking in my chest as seconds pass by.

I almost want to puke. I don’t want to go inside but I don’t want to leave, either. I know I can just leave the folder on Rebekah’s table, but Calvin said I had to give it to her, not leave it on her table, right? That, or I am just making random excuses.

There’s another flirty giggle – and my heart sinks deeper.

Gathering my courage, I twist the door knob and push the door open in one swift move. The giggling immediately stops and two heads snaps to my direction.

I’m relieved to see Rebekah standing a few feet away from Blake, not kissing him or something. She’s bent down – her cleavage full on display – halfway picking up a box full of paper. I’m guessing it had fallen to the ground, making the weird noise. “Thank God,” I blurt out.

Rebekah’s flirty smile dropped from her face. “What the hell are you doing here?” she asks.

“Here.” I walk towards her and give her the folder.

She rolls her eyes, flip her hair and place a hand on her hip. “Whatever. If you don’t have anything else to do, leave.” She gestures to the door, snatching the folder from me.

I look towards Blake briefly, catching his small amused smile. Something about his smile is just infectious. I chew the inside of my cheeks, ignoring Blake’s eyes on me. Or maybe it’s just my imagination.

“Didn’t you hear what I said? I said leave,” she continues, a triumphant smile now plastered her face.

It’s my turn to roll my eyes. It’s not like I’m going to flirt with Blake or something.

“Gladly,” I mutter, but because of the silence I’m sure both of them heard it. I turn around and exit Blake’s office, pushing the thoughts of Blake and Rebekah together to the back of my mind. Somehow, it bugs me more than I know it should have.

* * *

The next few days passed by very quickly that I didn’t even notice how fast time was passing. A daily routine has formed: in the morning, I’d make strong coffee for Calvin and for myself, and then I’d do my paperwork and file a few papers. During lunch break, me and my co-worker Veronica would either get some snacks from the break room or eat at the restaurant down the road. Insert a few more paperwork here, and lastly, I’d leave the building before it gets dark, hail a taxi and arrive safely back to my apartment. In the evening, me and Emily would either order take-out Chinese food or cook some real food. I prefer Emily’s cooking, because in all honesty, I swear she would make an amazing cook someday.

I haven’t dreamt anything or remembered any memory at all. I took this as a sign that I am already moving on. I’ve been doing really great. I didn’t see Blake or Rebekah, which is even better. Just the thought of them makes my head pound.

Work is usually light, and I didn’t really have to do a lot of things. I just had to be Calvin’s bitch and do what he says. My co-workers are all respectable, and Veronica is my new best friend. Next to Emily, of course.

In short, life was great.

Take note: was.

“Bye. See you tomorrow,” I say, picking up the stacks of paperwork I have to do at home.

Calvin smiles and nods. “Yeah. Bye,” he tells me, turns around and enters his office. I’ve been early dismissed today, because Calvin knows I don’t like staying too long. He said I can always do paperwork at home.

My phone starts vibrating against the table, making a weird sound. I press answer, placing the phone in between my cheek and my shoulder as my hands arrange my bag.

I haven’t checked caller ID yet. “Hello?”

“Hello, Haley. We miss you.”

My hands freeze, and I properly hold my phone against my ears this time.

“Mom?”

I can hear the smile in her voice. “Yes. How are you doing, dear?”

“Okay, I guess,” I reply, still taken aback at the sudden call. Mom is not the type to be calling suddenly. Sudden visits, maybe, but not calls. Maybe something has gone wrong? “Not to be mean or anything, but why did you call? You just visited a few weeks ago.”

“Time flies quickly, doesn’t it?” says mom. “Anyway, I was hoping you’d do us a favor.”

I purse my lips. “What favor?”

“We accidentally left a bag at your apartment. We would probably visit again next month to see how you’re doing. Would you mind keeping the bag for a while?” mom asks, her voice an octave higher.

“Uhm, yeah. Sure,” I reply.

“Please don’t open it or anything. You don’t want to know what’s in there.”

I quirk an eyebrow. “What’s in there?”

“Um, my lingerie and your dad’s underwear,” she replies immediately, and I frown, a little disgusted.

“Okay?” I reply, unsure of what to say. What am I supposed to reply to that? “I’ll see you in a month then. Bye.”

She says a quick goodbye and hangs up.

* * *

When I return home, Emily is sleeping on the couch, the TV still turned on. Smiling, I shut it off, take a quick bath and change to pink PJ’s. When I look at myself in the mirror, I feel so childish. Even if I’m already 22, I feel like my mind is still set in the 18-year-old me.

I try to search around the apartment for the bag. I enter the guest room, where mom and dad had stayed for a night a few days ago. The room is still neat and the bed is nicely made, but I still have no clue where the bag is.

I open the wooden closet, and I’m about to close it again when I see a black strap hanging on the top. Smiling proudly, I reach up on my toes, grab the strap and pull it down. It lands on the floor with a small thud.

When I bend down and pull it up again, it slips out of my grip, and it falls to the floor again. Sighing, I notice that the zipper is opened and something small falls to the ground.

I look down and instantly freeze.

My old phone.

* * *

Author's Note: Omg it's been decades since I've last updated. Sorry about that. This is more of a filler chapter. Again.

THANK YOU SO MUCH for 1K reads and for all your votes! Love you guys! I know I've been a shitty writer for not updating for like 2 weeks.

Thank you again! ily <3

- Darcy