Chapter Seven

CHAPTER SEVEN

First things first - I make sure the door is locked. My mind goes through the possibilities of what info my phone can give me. My old contact list, my messages, my calls . . . everything, really, but what if my parents had already deleted it?

My finger rests on the power button. What scares me the most is that somehow, I know I’d never be able to move on once I turn my phone on. How could one simple device change someone’s life?

I suddenly hear the doorknob rattling, and I’m so surprised that I almost drop the phone. “Haley? Are you in there?”

I hastily shove the phone into my pocket, but it wouldn’t fit. The phone’s too big. “Yeah, I’m here.”

“What are you doing? Would you mind opening the door? I can’t hear anything from out here.”

I leave my phone in my pocket, a corner of it peeking out as I open the door. She tiptoes and tries to peek over my shoulder then looks back at me with a semi-suspicious look. “What are you doing?” she asks in a good way.

I swallow. I can’t tell her about the phone. I just can’t. “Mom and dad left their bag and I’m searching for it.” I can’t stand lying. I know how bad I am at it, so my last resort is to change the topic. I flash her a grin that I hope isn’t too fake and quirk an eyebrow. “So. Are you up for movie night?”

* * *

“Woah. You look horrible,” are the first words Calvin told me when I entered the office the next day.

Tch. Like I don’t know how horrible I look. I’ve seen my reflection earlier this morning in the mirror – I’m pretty sure I look like a zombie, to be honest. I’ve never had eyebags this horrible before, and my back hurts and so does everything else in my body. I barely slept a wink last night. I spent the whole night watching movies with Emily, waiting until she falls asleep so that I could finally pull out the phone from my pocket. It turns out she had already slept that afternoon and could stay awake the whole night at that time. We both stayed awake until two in the morning, and I finally gave up and fell asleep on the couch.

“I need coffee,” I mumble out loud, placing my things on the table and collapsing on my chair. Regretting I didn’t pass by the snack room earlier, I place the overdue paperwork neatly on my table and start my day. My eyes scan over the words, but they don’t make sense at all. I have to read it several times before I finally get the meaning.

This day seems to be dragging. Only thirty minutes have passed and I already feel like dying.

By the time the clock strikes at nine, I have already given up. Maybe sleeping a few minutes won’t hurt… I close my eyes, cross my arms on the table and tuck my head.

* * *

“Sleeping during work, huh?”

The moment I come back to my senses, I immediately know I feel better and refreshed, although my back feels a little weird from slouching too long. My head ache has finally disappeared, and I think I can finally read sentences without rereading them again and again. My eyes slowly flutter open, and I immediately spot the mountain of folders and paperwork—

I jerk up, my heart pounding as I squint at the clock hanging on the wall across me.

Oh God. I’ve slept for a whole hour on my first week of work. I’m really bad at this.

Someone clears their throat from beside me, and I snap my head to the side.

“Here,” he says and places a cup on my table. The sweet smell of hot coffee fills my senses, and for a second I feel kinda dizzy. I should stop my coffee addiction.

“What are you doing here? Am I in trouble again, sir?” I ask Blake who’s just standing beside me, staring at my face. People are staring at us, but he doesn’t seem fazed by it. I'm even doubting what I'm seeing right now. Maybe I'm still dreaming? He smiles his perfect smile, and my heart flutters and melts at the same time.

It seems like it was hours ago when I was completely terrified of seeing him, but why am I so relaxed now?

“No. I was just passing by.” He gestures towards the coffee, “I’m sure you’re tired. And by the way, you look pretty horrible today.”

“So I’ve been told.” I’m too distracted for a real reply, because it’s as if the coffee is screaming at me to drink it. I almost reach for the cup of coffee when I see the name scribbled on the side of the cup.

Blake.

I furrow my eyebrows in confusion and glace towards him. “But this is yours.”

His smile is still there. He shrugs his shoulders. “I know that. It’s ok,” he says when he sees my doubtful expression.

I press my lips into a thin line. “Oh.” I didn’t expect to receive a cup of coffee from the CEO himself. I take a small sip and grin widely as the flavors burst in my mouth. I’m already feeling lively.

I take another long sip. “Hmm… I really like mocha,” I mumble, still grinning from ear to ear, momentarily forgetting Blake’s presence.

I don't think it's intended for me to hear because I almost don't hear it, but I still do anyway. “Yeah. I know that, too.”

My head snaps up in surprise, but the only thing I see left is the door closing behind him.