Chapter Five

The Lab

The next morning I woke up to the sound of people talking in my room. I couldn't tell how many of them there were but I could tell there were more than one. Their voices were muffled and everything was blurry; I felt even lousier than I normally do in the mornings. 

    Strangely, I felt as if I were moving. Well, more like I was being moved. As I began to come to my senses more, I noticed little bumps here and there, and an occasional stop. I felt so detached from reality, everything seemed so blurry and nothing made any sense.

I realized I was lying down still. Maybe they were moving me somewhere?

I couldn't remember anything, I even began to think I was at home with my family before I remembered where I truly was. As I slowly began to gain more consciousness, I remembered my discussion with Doctor Kasters yesterday and my agreeing to be a test subject for the serum. Was that today?

    I opened my eyes and blinked till they came into focus. Above me was a blank white ceiling, I decided I was definitely being moved due to the fact that the lights kept flying past me. Where was I going again?

    I groaned as I tried to pull myself into reality. Everything seemed to moving in slow motion.

I looked around me and saw two blurry figures on either side of my pushing the mobile cot I was apparently on. Above my head I saw somebody following us; whoever they were, they wore a white outfit which likely meant they were a doctor. To the right was another person following us; this person was dressed in all gray clothing.

    The voices started to become clear and my vision started to focus. I heard a female voice say in a hushed tone, "that's not fair," then a male voice said in the same tone, "it's far less complicated this way."

    "She's waking up." One of the people to either side said. We stopped.

    "Olivia?" The female voice said. "It's me, Doctor Kasters. I need you to try to lie very still, okay?"

    I barely understood what she said, but I nodded.

    The male voice said "you'll eventually notice that there is a glass box around your cot. This is purely for safety purposes, ours and your own."

    My eyes focused a little bit more. Indeed, there was a glass case over me. I noticed a small circle directly above my head with some gray material filling it. This must be where air and sound goes in and out without letting any bacteria get through.

"Where are we going?" I asked with as much energy as I could muster up.

There was a slight pause. "There's been a minor change in plans. We just have to run some tests before testing the serum. We also had to induce you with an anesthesia to help you sleep while we were getting ready to transport you."

That explains the grogginess.

"When will my family be here?" Despite my concerns for their wellbeing, I still wanted to see them again. I knew I couldn't touch them, I just wanted to see them.

They said nothing.

"Where are they?"

We started to move again. The male voice started to speak, "I'm afraid there has also been a change in plans involving your family." He paused and I heard Doctor Kasters scoff.

"What change?" I felt my heart sink.

"The rest of the council and I have decided it is in the best interest for the patients and their loved ones that we don't notify the families. This way there are no complications."