Chapter Twenty-One

Start from the beginning

It seems that when it comes to six years, all you have to do is smile and praise them, and they will love you. 

Charlotte calls out, "Piper, we probably have to go and visit the next Teaching room. We only have so much time here."

I make my way back to the front of the Teaching room. 

"You know, I think you could be a Teacher, you know how to talk to kids and you were in the Complex for quite a while." Kali says.

"Being a teacher seems pretty fun. I'm definitely considering it as a Pros."

"It is pretty fun. It's an all day job, though, you have to have plenty of energy. But, since it's an all day job, you get more days off. The more Teachers we have, the more days off we get."

Charlotte begins shifting towards the door, "Well, we should probably get going. We have four more classrooms to visit."

Kali responds, "Of course. You will be doing seven years next, right? Whose room are you going to?"

Charlotte shrugs, "Probably Eli's, he's actually nice to Rivies. Definitely not Heather’s, she's an offie jerk to any Rivie in sight. I don't get people like that. People who think they're something special just because they've been here since they were six. Everyone was a Rivie at some point or another.  I just," Charlotte stops and claps her hand over her mouth, "sorry, I didn't mean to start ranting.”

Kali waves her hand, "Doesn't matter, I feel the exact same way. It doesn't matter when you decided to rebel against the Heads, all that matters is that you did."

Charlotte glances at her Notice, "Okay, we really have to go. Bye Kali, see you soon."

Charlotte leads me out of the doorway, back into the hallway. She begins typing into her Notice, "I'm just going to send a quick message to Matthew, asking where we should go next."

She leans against the chrome walls, waiting, "We might have to wait for a couple minutes. I don't want to inconvenience Matthew. Being a R.I involves being very careful not to offend any of the other Pros. R.I.'s are really the only Pros that has to deal with all the other Pros."

She glances at me while I join her in leaning against the wall, then she continues, "Which Pros are you the most interested in?"

"I've only seen three."

"You've seen Techs, Fields, and Teachers. Not to mention you already pretty much know what R.I.s and Kitchens do. That's already half of the Pros in the Unknown."

I sigh, "I don't know how I'm going to even choose."

Charlotte folds her arms, "Well...what Profession were you chosen for in the Complex?"

"Renewal Official.”

"How did you say you were sent here again?"

I shift on my feet. I have to lie to Charlotte, too. I hate not being able to tell anyone the truth, not having anyone to talk to. It will change tonight. Tonight I will go to the rebellious meeting with Miranda and tell her my story. 

Charlotte is watching me very closely. I apologize, "Sorry, um, I accidentally kicked an Official's shoe. The Official absolutely freaked out and...now I'm here."

I use the story that the Officials told me to tell everyone. Just until tonight, then the lying can stop.

Charlotte seems to believe my story. She gives me one of her cheery smiles, "Doesn't surprise me. Those offie Officials are grumpy. About the Pros, I think you seem like a Teacher, R.I, or an Odds to me, maybe a Kitchens."