CHAPTER 1 - Devin

The steady pounding of my feet against the pavement urges me forward. 

Faster. 

I dare a quick glance back and only just make out the flash of black fabric of my pursuer before I'm barreling down the next side street. I take my next available turn left and beg this ever-changing city to swallow me whole.

I make another turn down an alley between two brick buildings. I've lost all sense of direction, but that doesn't stop me from plowing forward. I dare another glance back and see no one, but I'm not stupid enough to think I've lost them. No, they're close. Waiting. I plead with my muscles to turn over more rapidly. You would think by now my brain wouldn't be tricked by this world and it's illusions, but unfortunately I feel my heart pounding in the side of my neck. Each beat a sad reminder that it's been three years since men's track. I'm never getting out of shape again.

I shake my head. Stupid real world thoughts trying to take over again. This is not real. Not real. I repeat the mantra over and over, but still with each step I feel the burning of acid spike through my legs and I groan in pain. Stupid illusions.

I take another turn and hear the all too familiar sound of an engine coming to life behind me. I nearly stumble in surprise. Damn. I need a plan. I see an exit to the alley and haul myself towards it. My eyes shut unwillingly against the sudden light of the open street. I force myself to squint through the light and then I nearly fall again when I see the Santa Monica Pier ahead. Shit!

I turn right and curse again. Third Street! I turned on Third Street! A few feet in front of me is a mass of people that continues down the next couple blocks of the shopping plaza. I stop and make to turn around, but then I see a white motorcycle screech around the corner into view. Not waiting to see if the motorcyclist will abide by the law that this is meant to be a pedestrian only street, I turn and run into the crowd of oblivious faces. I curse to myself as I sidestep my way around clusters of people. This, this right here is why I avoid tourist areas. Too many freakin' people to watch out for!

I nearly throw myself to the ground as an unsuspecting woman casually meanders in front of me. I manage to narrowly avoid hitting her or anyone else as I leap to the side. I need to get out of here.

I spot an open door to some ridiculously brightly colored clothing store. I duck inside and wait. Gulps of air pound in and out of my lungs and I strain to hear the motorcycle. The crowd probably slowed them down as much as it slowed me.

I tentatively step out onto the street. My pulse spikes as I glance around. Not seeing my pursuers has me more on edge then if they were chasing behind me. I wait another heartbeat and then make up my mind to go back the way I came.

Suddenly, a blast of air pushes me back against the glass of the storefront. My whole body tenses in anticipation. You have got to be kidding me. Surely they wouldn't interpret this many people just for little ol' me... would they?

Sure enough, I hear a chorus of screams coming from the end of the block near where I first turned onto the street. The crowd around me reacts in unison to follow the sound of glass and metal colliding in an ear-splitting boom of noise.

I push off from the store window and step further into the street. A cacophony of screams flows from person to person on a wave of fear as the pier's metal Ferris wheel comes rolling down the very street I turned off of earlier. The crowd stares in horrified awe as the wheel continues to roll, carrying the screams of trapped victims still stuck in the red and yellow carts out of sight. An eerie silence follows and then screams of those nearest the street suddenly pick up and the crowd becomes a mob running and shoving to get further away.