Chapter XXI: The Big Leap

Start from the beginning

"Tim, maybe it's right to know them or to look for them, to ask for questions but to blame them for your brother's death? That's just sick, man. He took his own life, for Christ sake." Timothy's best friend grunted.

The man glared at Terrence but after a moment, his demeanor softened.

"I guess you have a point." He muttered quietly, contemplating on reading the report or not.

The engineer heard the architect drew a long breath before opening the envelope but his action was interrupted by a knock from the door.

"Come in, Sab." He hollered cheerfully.

"I'm sorry but your mother is on line one, Tim. She said it's urgent. I'm sorry for disturbing your meeting." The petite woman stated timidly.

Timothy was more than sure that his girlfriend had a rendezvous with his mother's sharp tongue again. Sabina's eyes were watery and her nose was a bit red.

"What did she said this time, Sab?" He motioned her to come in but the woman remained in the doorway. Hesitation was written all over her angelic face.

Sabina shook her head. "It's nothing, Tim." Her voice slightly quivered. Timothy witnessed how her chest rise and fall from her effort not to cry in front of them and this made him angry.

He was about to stand up when Sabina opened her mouth again. "Talk to her please, please." Her voice cracked as tears began to cascade on her cheeks.

She looked towards Terrence direction. "I'm sorry about this, TJ."

She forced a small smile before turning her back. After a few seconds the men heard the glass door opened and the clicking sound of a pair of stiletto walking away hurriedly.

The man roughly picked up the wireless phone. "Ma, what did you say to her this time, ha?" He asked in a hard voice while Terrence was trying everything he could to avoid hearing the conversation.

He was already out of his seat when he saw his friend signaled him to sit down again. "Ma, how many times do I have to tell you that Darcy is not my girlfriend, Sabina is. And she is not my responsibility." His expression became darker and darker as the conversation went on.

The engineer could make out angry screams from the other line. "You don't have the right to talk to her like that. You don't know her. Stop saying that! Ma!" Timothy bellowed.

It was apparent that the mother and son were having a heavy dispute and Terrence knew that this is because of Darcy and Sabina.

Oh boy, it's really difficult to be you, Tim! He thought.

The bulging veins on Timothy's forehead alarmed his best friend. "Man, chill!" He said softly.

The architect hurled the phone across the room, breaking it to pieces. "Goddamnit!" The man cursed loudly while Terrence remained seated, not knowing what to do.

When everything seemed calmer, Terrence spoke again. "Man, I think you need to find Sabina, she needs you." He suggested to his still furious best friend.

∞∞∞

Maria Sabina De la Vega, found herself in one of the enormous building fire exits. She needed fresh air and most of all she needed to breath.

Timothy's mother had always been harsh towards her. She should be accustomed by now but still, there were times that Sabina couldn't take the lashings especially when her values and parentage were being questioned.