She Will Be Loved

This is my first ever "short story", being as I am a novelist. I'm not quite sure what everyone else thinks a short story is, but this will be a few chapters long and that's it. It's a very easy-to-follow storyline. This will have an epilogue and alternate endings if requested, but personally it feels complete just the way it is. The entire story is already written, so it won't be long in between updates.

By the way, I really adore inline comments, and seeing what you have to say as you read and experience the story. Let me know what parts you love, what parts you hate, yell at me if I don't plesse your OTP needs ;)

...

I wanted to go to the skate park, where I generally spent my free time, but I wasn't willing to risk an encounter with him; I knew that infuriatingly pretentious asswagon, Noah, would no doubt be there.

     Why is he such an asswagon? You might be wondering. Oh, let me count the ways! 'Why isn't he an asswagon?' would actually be a much more appropriate question, seeing as there are very, very few qualities that are even slightly likable about him.

     Here's a real plot twist: he's my ex boyfriend.

     Yes, I am that girl, the one who wishes she could feed the boy who broke her heart to toothless, prehistoric Megalodons. Much more painful than a quick, toothy death--I hope, anyway.

     I'm absolutely disgusted with myself for ever having even entertained a relationship with him.

     Noah, and a few of our mutual friends, spent most of their time either at the local skate park or at the track where we had tournaments every month.

     It was by some sick twist of fate that these were the two places I decided to go; each time, I saw Noah. We kind of saw each other from a distance, sometimes he'd smile at me, but nothing more happened.

     My grandma took me from my mom after she got out of rehab, because it didn't last, and she went right back to her addiction. I haven't spoken to her in years. We moved here, and I was new in town, but I had made friends with a lot of the locals, excluding a few of the more uppity females.

     The first person to talk to me when I moved here, and my current best friend, was Seth Manker. He saw me out at one of the races and invited me to the skate park with him. I accepted his offer.

     That's where I actually met--and talked to--Captain Dickforbrains. Shamefully, I was weak-in-the-knees smitten with Noah. With his shaggy dark hair, soft lips, carmel-smooth voice, kick-me-it's-too-good-to-be-true charm, and irresistible smile, any girl would have. I was only fifteen at the time, I didn't know any better.

     When he set his sights on me, writing these stupid love poems and catching me between every class freshman year, I couldn't help but say yes to a date. It blossomed on its own.

     Noah was perfect, as it seemed. I soon found out, however, that underneath all those good looks and that charming front, he had a real Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde bearing.

     He could be so romantic and sweet, but if something didn't go his way, all hell broke loose. We tended to butt heads a lot because we're both pretty stubborn and hard-headed. Probably me more than him, but hey, what are you gonna do?

     A sane person would have ended the relationship cut and dry. I didn't, obviously due to my immense lack of sanity; fighting was just us. The sweet moments and all the apologies were worth it in the end.

     How did things ever go wrong?

     This is where it gets hard to talk about. Right after turning 18, my grandmother had an aneurism. The only family I had left in the world, dead. She left a great deal of money all to me, and since my name was written down as the secondary on the house's deed, I inherited it.